Thursday, October 16, 2014

Random Musings: Dostoyevsky to Audible

I have fallen in love. Again. But this time it's different.

Those are words you don't want to hear from your teenage daughter.

But, here, it's true. It happens every time I read a book I just can't get enough of.

The great thing about teaching English is that it's sort of a job requirement to constantly read things you haven't read before. The great part about teaching high schoolers is that they are open to everything. Therefore, I read Crime and Punishment in July, and I'm rereading it with the students Frankie Bailey visited last month. I could read the novel over and over again for the next five years and not reach saturation. I've set up guest lectures from members of the history department to put the text into cultural and historical contexts, which adds even more enjoyment.

This isn't a book report or a sales pitch, but if you're reading this post, you either love mysteries or writing (hopefully, both). So all I can say is get a copy and check it out. You'll find that most of your contemporary authors (crime and mainstream) are deriving themes from Dostoyevsky.

On another front, I promised to keep you posted regarding my foray into the audiobook realm, and I have two updates, both regarding Audible. First, using my backlist (the Jack Austin PGA Tour mysteries), I'm taking advantage of Audible's Audiobook Creation Exchange program, where an author, who owns rights to his work, can post a novel for auditions, select a narrator, and then share royalty profits with the selected narrator (each taking a 25% slice), roughly $5 a book, I'm told. The process has been slower for me than the writer who recommended the program. (I'm on my second narrator.) But I have nothing to lose, so I'm riding it out and still recommend the program. Second, I'm joining Audible via a more traditional route: my agent recently fielded a three-book offer for Bitter Crossing, the sequel Fallen Sparrow, and the third in the series, which I'm working on currently. It will be interesting to go through these two audiobook experiences with Audible simultaneously and see which I prefer.
*
I have two events in New England this weekend and would love to meet anyone who reads Type M. The first is Saturday, Oct. 18, from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Barnes and Noble in Portsmouth, NH; and the second is Sunday,Oct. 19, from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., at Barnes and Noble in Augusta, Maine.

No comments: