Thursday, November 27, 2014

Admitting ignorance and other random thoughts on Thanksgiving


This past weekend, I attended the National Conference of Teachers of English with thousands of my closest friends. The event ran Thursday through Sunday in Washington, DC, with workshops and lectures every 90 minutes. It was exhilarating and exhausting.

I learned a few things about the book industry I didn't know. Among them, young adult authors are enormously popular with teachers. The lines for signed copies would have led you to believe the Beatles were at the event. I also learned just how ignorant I am: aside from Rick Riordan and J.K. Rowling, I know of few other YA authors.

It was Stephen King who said (I paraphrase) if you're not in touch with the popular culture of your times, you're missing out. I'm missing out, so I picked up a few titles and will dive in.

In other news, I was thrilled with a couple milestones this week: the Mystery Guild selected Bitter Crossing as a book club choice; and my agent sold audio rights for all three books on my current contract.

Audio books might not mean as much to some as they do to me. As a dyslexic, I love audio books. I still have boxes of books on tape in my garage. Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexics helped me get through graduate school. My love of books and writing was certainly fostered by audio books. So the sale means a lot to me.

I have much to be grateful for on this day, mostly my wife Lisa and our three daughters Delaney, Audrey, and Keeley.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: