Friday, November 14, 2014

Bouchercon and Other Perils

This is sort of a travelogue and an inside glimpse of what goes on at Bouchercon — the biggest mystery conference. There's no doubt writers who are really talented at meet and greet have a distinct advantage over those of us who need some "alone" time to recharge. It's the difference between introverts and extroverts.

Although I'm very introverted by nature, I'm not a shy person so I'm somewhere in between those who find crowds threatening and attendees who bound up to the nearest stranger and make a new friend instantly. It's a wonderful opportunity to hand out post cards and tell people about a book. I'm always the most comfortable one on one, so I joined a lady at a table on the patio and had a great conversation. We were joined by a debut writer I had met last year. She immediately whipped out post cards. Mine were up in my room in my back pack! See what I mean when I say some are simply born naturals?

I went to the Sisters in Crime forensics clinic yesterday. It was terrific. They had expert speakers from California State at Los Angles who had written books about crime scene investigation. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

This year we are at the Hyatt Regency at Long Beach, California. It's one of the most gorgeous hotels I've been in. It has a newish feel and someone really put a lot of thought into the design. The rooms have lovely bathroom fixtures with full mirrors surrounded by superb lighting. But it's the physical space of the community rooms that sets this location apart. There were no equipment breakdowns for speakers. All of the mics work, and that often is a weak spot in preparation. There are around 2000 people here and they are all easily accommodated.

I ran in our blogmate Frankie Bailey (almost literally) and told her about my most embarrassing moment. I had ordered room service this morning and set my tray outside the door. The door slammed shut and I stood there in horror (key less) in ratty old pajamas and fuzzy old socks. I couldn't see any way out of my mess except to tromp down to the very public main desk and get a new key. Yes. In front of all the sharp looking mystery writers milling around.

I set off for the elevator and spied a wall phone that connected to the front desk. They sent a security guard to my floor and all was well.

More later about this conference. Frankly, I've never been to any conference where I didn't meet someone new that I enjoyed. I always learn a lot.

1 comment:

Eileen Goudge said...

I've had that happen to me! Yes, getting locked out of a hotel room is embarrassing. Just be grateful you were fully clothed.