Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Bouchercon, Here I Come!

For the next four days, I’ll be attending Bouchercon in Long Beach, CA.

This will be my first time at this particular mystery convention. I’m not a complete conference newbie. I’ve attended California Crime Writers Conference several times, even co-chaired it one year. We’re talking a fairly intimate conference with 150-200 attendees. Last May I attended Malice Domestic for the first time. That’s about 800, I think. But Bouchercon. From what I understand, we’re talking a couple thousand people. 2000! It boggles my brain. I’m hyperventilating now just thinking about it.

My first book, Fatal Brushstroke, comes out the Tuesday after B’con so this will be the first conference where I have a book to promote. I’ve done my prep work for the two events I’m scheduled to participate in—the new authors breakfast on Friday where I’ll have 50 seconds to pitch my book and the Add Spice to Your Crafts panel on Saturday moderated by Dru Ann Love with fellow panelists Barbara Graham, Jennifer McAndrews, Camille Minichino and Clare O’Donohue where we’ll be talking about murder and our favorite hobbies.

Although I’m looking forward to both of them, the two events worry me a bit because they’re both early in the morning and I’m not a morning person. (I cannot emphasize this enough: I am not a morning person!) On the plus side, they’ll be over with before I get a chance to worry too much about them and I’ll have the rest of the day to enjoy myself.

Since the convention is taking place in my neck of the woods, I’ll know quite a few people there. That’s great except that, after looking at the schedule, I’ve discovered a number of my friends are participating in panels at the same time. It’s like trying to choose your favorite child!

I’m also looking forward to spending time with friends I haven’t seen in a while and getting to know some of my fellow Henery Press authors who are scattered around the country. And I’m also hoping to meet some of my cohorts here at Type M.

All in all, I expect to have a good time, though I’m sure I’ll be quite tired after it’s all over. If you’re attending B’con and you see someone wandering around looking a little glassy-eyed, that’s probably me. Stop and say hi. I’d appreciate it. Bouchercon, here I come!

No comments: