Tuesday, December 09, 2014

Boy, does she have this right!

I’ve been in an ornery mood lately. Partially, it’s the season. The end of the year is always wearing in many ways, much as I love the fact that I get to see people dear to me in whose company I seldom get to bask. It’s the getting ready for it all that really saps my energy.

I have other more personal concerns that also are affecting my mood. The big one is my current novel, Roses for a Diva, has only gotten one (excellent) review in a major publication. It has gotten noticed and received nice reviews from the people who really count: readers. Sadly, though, those won’t sell all that many books. It’s frustrating because I actually feel for a change that I’ve written something worthy of the felling of a few trees or rearranging a few electrons on the great interweb. What can I do about it? Shake my fist at the stars and rage against the universe? Won’t do much good. I can only hope that some print reviews will come in before the book is re-boxed and sent back to my publisher’s warehouse sometime after the Christmas holidays.

And there are other things annoying or frustrating me that I won’t go into.

So with those thoughts as background, I spent the past hour, trolling said interweb for something to post about this week.

I found this:



And now I feel a whole lot better.

In my “Science Fiction Years”, I read many books penned by Ursula Le Guin, and The Left Hand of Darkness remains one of the most memorable books I’ve read. (As a matter of fact, it’s due about now for a rereading). When I was in the midst of devouring her books, computers for home use weren’t even in existence, so I didn’t know much about her. I’m going to find out more after hearing her speech at the National Book Awards.

She tells it like it is as only someone in her position can do. She could have taken the easy route, thanked those that helped her, certainly recognize the fact that a major award had been given to someone who writes (gasp!) genre fiction. You cannot argue that she deserves it. Her books are exceptionally well-written and have stood the test of time (she still sells well). Without hearing her speak, I was already up and cheering just because a prestigious organization recognized her “literary value”.

And then I viewed the clip.

What can I add? She’s one hundred percent correct – and it’s something we all needed to hear. Hopefully, it will give some in our industry a little backbone.

I think many of you might agree.

2 comments:

Eileen Goudge said...

Sales is the most discouraging part of what we do, no? Or shall I say, the lack thereof when it's less than stellar. I keep telling myself it's all relative. Relative to what was or what will be in the future. Also, books go out of print but they never die as long there's digital, so where there's life there's hope.

Eileen Goudge said...

Oops. Meant to write "are" instead of "is." End-of-the-day-itis.