Monday, December 22, 2014

Christmas Cheers!

By Vicki Delany

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

My family are coming for the holidays, and every woman out there knows that that means work. And a lot of it.

I do sometimes wonder why I do it. I bought a fresh Fraser Fir and hauled it home to to find that it’s waaaay too tall to put it on the table top as I’d planned. Rearrange the furniture, stuff the blasted thing into the stand, and decorate it.

The result of my labours

Mince tarts warm out of the oven


I’ve spent the last couple of days cleaning the house, wrapping presents, cooking and baking, and then more cooking and baking.  And there’s still three days to go until Christmas.
Okay, I guess the house has to be cleaned at least once a year, and I do think presents need to be wrapped. You can’t just hand someone a box in a plastic bag.

But I could buy one of those already-decorated trees and pop it on the table, and there are restaurants open on Christmas day, not to mention such things as store-bought pies and cakes and cookies and frozen lasagna.

So why go to all that work?

I can only speculate that it satisfies something inside us. The pleasure we get when we see our loved ones smiling at the Christmas tree, or digging into the traditional turkey dinner. The enjoyment we get from knowing that we do something well, and doing it as well as we can.

In a way, it’s a lot like writing. Not many of us are making much of a living from this gig and all but the most hugely successful make enough that they don’t need income from other sources, be it employment, retirement income, a supportive spouse. (A patron of the arts? If anyone like that is out there, give me a call). 

But we do it anyway, probably because we want to do something we think (we hope?) we do well and it’s an extra bonus if people let us know that they have enjoyed our efforts.
Heading back to the store for what she forgot the first five times

Will be making this cake again this year


I won’t tell you to relax and enjoy the holiday, but I do still hope that you have a very Merry Christmas, and I’ll talk to you again next year!


1 comment:

Eileen Goudge said...

Very festive! The cake and mince tarts look divine. Happy holidays to you and yours.