Friday, December 12, 2014

It's About Time

We are in the middle of a hysterical discussion here at Type M. It's about time. It started innocently enough with our faithful blogmeister, Rick Blechta, suggesting that we give a little thought to our scheduling. By this he meant instead of scheduling our post for 3:00 am (or just whenever) schedule for the earliest time, which is midnight. He could not understand the reasoning behind the strange variations.

I led off with an immediate frantic response that I didn't know when midnight was in military time. Actually Type M schedules on normal time and 12:00 a.m. has never seemed right to me when it's dark as the devil outside. So I always schedule my post for 12:30 a.m. which seems safer. When I blog for Poisoned Pen Press, it's on military time and 12:00 a.m. (midnight) is expressed by 00:00 which to my thinking is no time at all. It's free time. Time that isn't going anywhere. Meaningless time. Don't you agree? I mean, all those zeros. 

Donis chimed in next that she was on AZ time which agrees with the rest of America most of the year but stubbornly refuses to cooperate with daylight savings time. I never know what time it is in AZ. I always ask Google before I call anyone in that state. 

We have a number of readers around the world. Heavens! The day isn't even right with some of our posts. Much to our delight we have very supportive  readers in Russia. I'm not even going to go there in my time calculations.

Aline Templeton lives in Scotland. She said she doesn't know what time it is either.  She always posts at 6:30 a.m. because she knows America is six hours behind. Besides, she always thought 12:00 a.m was midday.

I will post this blog for 12:00 a.m. and see where it gets me. 

Time has never been a stable commodity. An older lady told me once that when they put lights on tractors, it ruined time and everything else. Before that, farmers could only work from sunup to sundown. With lights on equipment they could work half the night if they wanted to. Time no longer followed the sun. Previously, the womenfolk could tell with a glance when the men would be coming in from the field. Hard telling when to have supper on the table after the arrival of lights.

This year has defied every natural law of the universe. Time spun out of control. Were there actually twelve months? January changed to June and then raced on to December. No wonder we poor bloggers with our over-developed right brains are looking shell-shocked. 

And behind time, I might add.

9 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

"Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?" ---Chicago

Sybil Johnson said...

When I was a programmer I worked on a clock application. It really opened my eyes to just how many time zones there are. Some countries even offset by half an hour or 15 minutes. Those always boggled my brain.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Rick--well you used to know, didn't you? Before you veered off course into this discussion.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Sybil--Actually, I agree with AZ's approach. Pick a time and stick with it. I hate changing time twice a year. I have some kind of strong biological anchoring and don't adjust well.

Sybil Johnson said...

I hate the time changes every year. Especially now that you're supposed to "spring forward" when it isn't even spring yet in the U.S.!

Donis Casey said...

We don't have seasons, either. Just warm season and hot season. Since I don't have a nine-to-five job and a schedule I must stick to, I live in a long, endless, unchanging dream without time.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Donis, sometimes I'm guilty of acting like I have all the time in the world.

Aline Templeton said...

Further to our discussion, Charlotte, noon is the meridian,the point at which the sun is highest in the sky. AM means Ante Meridian and PM means Post Meridian, so I'm not sure you could describe either 12.00 as being AM or PM!

Charlotte Hinger said...

Some how I confused Meridian with Mason Dixon line. Now I'm afraid to leave the house.