Thursday, December 25, 2014

Merry Christmas!

This year, my gift came early: My mother is spending the week with us, but more importantly, with her three granddaughters.

At Thanksgiving, my mother – the person who showed me the joy of reading and introduced me to crime literature, the person behind my writing career – was diagnosed with lung cancer. Her call informing me of that, simply put, took my breath away: Eight years earlier, on the longest day of my life, I had to explain to my daughters their grandfather was gone. Cancer then, too. But last week a skilled oncologist at Maine Medical Center in Portland, Maine, removed the broccoli-shaped tumor.

And the follow-up scan showed no cancer anywhere else.

Having my mother here at my home to play grandmother for three granddaughters is the year's best gift.



Happy holidays to my colleagues at Type M and our readers!

2 comments:

Eileen Goudge said...

A blessing! And a wonderful Christmas story. May you have many more years with your mom.

LD Masterson said...

I am so happy for you, your mother, and your whole family. My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer last summer and we were praying for a similar miracle but God had other plans. May your mom enjoy many more Christmases with you.