Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Recipes into the future

by Rick Blechta

Yesterday Aline wrote something in her post that really resonated with me. It was also the main topic of the comments to her excellent post. I’m speaking of sharing favourite family recipes with our children and hopefully their children — and so on.

It seems a shame that valued recipes can become lost to time, often by simple oversight. This happened in our family to several treasured dishes. Grandmother Blechta’s excellent rye bread, my mother’s pressure cooker brown chicken fricassée (she would have insisted on the accent) are two notable recipes that have gone the way of the dodo. What I wouldn’t give to have both of those!

This realization happened eight years ago, and being aware that time was not standing still, my wife and I hatched a great concept for our 2011 Christmas gift: a cookbook of family recipes.

Most of them were ours, especially ones we had enjoyed with our children which they would want for the future. But we also had a number of older family recipes garnered from our mothers and grandmothers as well as recipes we gathered from our wider family. In a fit of great intelligence, I spent a day with my aunt on my father’s side and got several Czech recipes that she and her mother had been making for years for all of us (sadly, no rye bread). Those, of course, were front and centre in our cookbook. To fill in empty spaces, I used family photos, usually humorous. It was tough finding space for everyone to have their photographic moment.

As many of you know, I worked as a graphic designer for a number of years, so the actual production wasn’t difficult, although it was time-consuming. I’d already done the design work for two cookbooks put out by Crime Writers of Canada, so what was one more, right? By the time we finished, though, the book was 138 pages long!

To say the least, it was a big hit with everyone who received a copy. It was so popular in fact that we put out a second edition four years later and the page count had ballooned to 180 pages.

Will we do it again? I think so, especially since a number of forgotten recipes have resurfaced and we’ve developed a number of new family favourites, now for our grandchildren.

Food is a great connector in life. It is a way to nourish ourselves, but also to share and socialize. It can reach across generations and connect us to where we came from. As an example, one of the highlight recipes (peach kuchen) can be traced back five generations to Germany where my mother’s family originated.

In today’s rapidly changing world, that’s something to be treasured.

Here’s the peach kuchen recipe page:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this recipe. My German grandmother made an apple kuchen, and this variation sounds great. Preserving treasured recipes is so important. I still have a handwritten cookbook I created at age 15 when I copied out many of my grandmother's recipes. You are giving your family such a wonderful gift with your cookbook. Best wishes to you and the Type M crew for a happy and blessed holiday season!
Tanya

Rick Blechta said...

Dear Tanya,

Thanks! It's my pleasure.

As an aside, during the very short time local apricots are available in farmers markets, I bought some and used them in place of peaches -- which wouldn't be available for several weeks more -- and the results were spectacular. Apricots are a bit more tart so I used more brown sugar on top. Since they're smaller, I just cut them in half and removed the pit, so it was less fussy to use this fruit. It took about 8 small apricots to do the job.

As for the cookbook, it's a labour of love.

And in return, we all hope you enjoy a lovely holiday season!

---Rick