Saturday, September 02, 2006

Hearing Voices, Part 2

I’m going to make this easy. Take everything Michael says in his blog (below) on rewrites and sign my name to it. The man hit it dead solid and I’m not going to improve on it.

But since you’re here, I gotta tell you about the audio book version of Relative Danger that’s coming out from Blackstone Audio in a couple weeks. Now my debut mystery is available to a lot of folks who can no longer enjoy reading and those, like me, who make their drive time bearable with a book on tape (or in my case CD). But what makes me really excited – and a bit anxious – is hearing how somebody else reads my book.

As I was writing it and all during that revision process (again, see Michael) and then during that final proofreading time, I must have read Relative Danger three hundred times. Now that sounds impossible but just ask any writer how many times they’ve ever typed a line, read it a few times, read it in context with the rest of the paragraph, wrote the next line and gone back to read that other line…now that I think about it, maybe three hundred is way low. And other than a line here and there, I’ve never heard anyone else reading my books. Now someone I don’t know will be reading the whole book and I can’t wait to hear it.

Patrick Lawlor is a veteran stage, screen and TV actor who has also distinguished himself in the audio book world. He’s won the AudioFile Ear Phones™ award, he was a finalist for an Audie™ and my wife would like to note that he is also a “cutie”. Patrick’s been the reader for books by Edgar Rice Burroughs (an author that clearly influenced the kind of books I write), Max Brand and the highly acclaimed mystery writer, Richard Barre. Now he’ll be reading my book.

How will he approach the voices? Will he get all the Arabic words right? Will the parts I thought were funny come across as funny in his version and will the dramatic parts be dramatic? Will he pause where I would have paused, will his voice go up where mine always went up? And the sex scenes – come on, I can’t even read those out loud, how will he do it? I can’t wait to hear.

But what if his reading of it is better than the one in my head? That might screw me up real good. I wouldn’t be able to write without thinking of him and how he’d read it. What if I freak out and think that I have to hear him read everything I write, just to see if it’s any good? I’ll be calling him all the time, or worse yet, moving next door, just so I can run over every five minutes to have him read the latest line. The poor man will end up getting a restraining order, he’ll live in fear of that whacked-out author – which would be me – and he’ll wish he never heard of Relative Danger. And then he’ll think it’ll happen with the next book he reads, I mean there are plenty of crazy authors out there, believe you me. I won’t be able to write, just sitting in the corner, rocking back and forth, and he’ll switch careers, refusing to ever speak in public again, except at my trail when he shouts, “That’s the man that ruined my life!” And that’s the last thing I’ll hear before they lock me up in a nice padded room.

Thanks a lot, Patrick Lawlor. If you weren’t so good, I’d be a free man

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jiang When you will decide pandora sale to find jewelry for mom you may need to remember what your mom really needs. If my pandora jewellery uk spouse help rife with rings, then investing in a ring that she will likely for no reason put on pandora shop couldn't survive the ideal choice.Aside via getting Bracelets coming from a regular bracelets retail store, rings can also be purchased pandora 2010 from virtual stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you get to see every thing your gives, where in a shop it can be hard to kind though their own inventory to uncover the right thing. Mothers love pandora jewelry gifts which might be memorable. Make an effort to present your mom having a surprise that is personalized, for example an cheap pandora bracelets engagement ring utilizing their name engraved in it. Gold rings make for great gifts since they immortalize your mom's name in gold. A gold necklace and a pendant pandora charm bracelets produces a very good gifts for your mom, and gifts which might be most often overlooked . Avoid getting in a hurry to get a present for ones mom. Start pandora bracelet charms searching ahead of time; waiting until the last second to find a found is often getting problems.Spending some time to learn what an individual's Mum would like pandora bangles as well as might help guarantee that your sweetheart gets the top found. If you opt for necklaces regarding Mom online will assist cut down the amount of time necessary pandora bangle to discover the proper jewelry pertaining to mama despite the fact that have waited through to the very end. Therefore when your going looking for mother's day, on the liner where to begin from.