Thursday, October 12, 2006

Q&A and an upcoming event

Vicki here: I love to play those games on the Internet where you answer questions about yourself and then pass the questions on to your friends. You know the sort – what’s your favourite movie, favourite ice cream flavour, etc? I guess that we all like to talk about ourselves; it makes us feel important, even answering pretty mundane questions. I was featured last week in my local newspaper, the Oakville Beaver, in a segment called Q&A. I tried to plug the Afternoon of Murder event on November 18th at the Moonshine Café in Oakville (six Canadian mystery writers reading from their books) but they cut all that out. Oh, well, I’m plugging it now. Because I’m sure the readers of this blog are dying to know what’s my favourite movie, here is the piece as it was in the Oakville Beaver. And if you’d like more info about the Afternoon of Murder, please drop me an e-mail at Vicki@vickidelany.com. Oh, one more thing – in my answer about career influences I mentioned my fellow typist, Rick Blectha, who taught me a lot about doing a book signing. Sorry, Rick, but you were edited out!

Q&A
We pose questions to author Vicki Delany

Oct 7, 2006
What was your first job?
Sales clerk at K-Mart at Hopedale Mall.
When did you know you wanted to be a writer?
When I was in school (I went to T.A. Blakelock) my firends and I wrote stories for each other based on our favourite TV character.
What was your first paid professional writing assignment?
My first attempt at a novel was sold to an e-publishing company. My first cheque from them was for $14.
Career influences?
Mystery writers such as Giles Blunt and Maureen Jennings proved a good mystery, with a very Canadian setting, can make it.
Favourite author?
My favourite book of all is To Kill a Mockingbird, but of an author with a body of work, Ian Rankin.
What is your favourite writing genre?
About 80 per cent of what I read is mysteries or suspense. The other 20 per cent is generally non-fiction.
What book are you currently reading?
I have just started Season of Iron by Sylvia Maultash Warsh. In non-fiction, I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.
Favourite sport?
I don't play, but I enjoy going to a Blue Jays game.
Favourite local spot?
I love the Moonshine Café on Kerr Street. Other than that - my own back yard!
Favourite way to relax?
Reading, reading and more reading.
Favourite hobby?
Quilting.
Favourite snack?
Stilton on baguette.
Favourite meal?
The leftovers from a full turkey dinner.
Dogs or cats?
Dogs.
Wine or beer?
Wine.
What's in your music player?
Il Divo, Enya, David Wilcox, and Lord of the Rings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And is no allowance to be made for inadvertence, or for spirits depressed by recent disappointment?
hydrocodone side effects