Thursday, May 24, 2007

In B.C.

I made it! I’m settling in comfortably into Nelson after the Great Cross-Country Trek. Seven days, three time zones, five provinces, one driver, one passenger (canine). What a great trip. After we left Ontario the weather was generally good. I didn’t have any sort of a schedule planned out, each day I just drove as much as I felt like. We camped twice, once in Manitoba and once in Saskatchewan. I went to my mother’s hometown and the city of my birth, Winnipeg, Manitoba, where I haven’t been since I was about five years old, and to the town where my dad grew up, Indian Head, Saskatchewan. Indian Head is marked by a giant Indian Head on the side of the highway. And that’s about it these days. I loved driving across the Prairies. You can see all the way to the end of the world. The farms were getting ready for spring planting and everything looked green and prosperous. Then it turns a bit hilly, and you drive over a hill, and suddenly there it is in the distance. Mountains. Makes me wonder what the pioneers must have thought after passing across all that nice flat grassland to suddenly see that wall up ahead. They were probably not as pleased as I.

Then into B.C. and the Kooteneys to my favourite place in all the world. Nelson. I’ll be here for four months. Tomorrow I start my first house-sit – a beautiful home about five minute’s walk from my daughter’s place.

My new book, In the Shadow of the Glacier, which comes out in September from Poisoned Pen, is something different for me. It’s the start of a series, a police procedural in the style of a traditional village mystery. It’s set in a small town in the Kooteneys. A small fictional town by the name of Trafalgar. Now that all the chaos of packing, and moving, and traveling and visiting is over, I’m ready to start to second book in the series. It’ll be wonderful to actually be in the area I’m writing about. If I can’t remember what the trees look like climbing the side of the mountain, I’ll just look out the window. . Or perhaps walk into town to sit at the coffee shop and ponder the nature of trees.