Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mothers Day

It’s Mother’s Day in the States so I’ve been busy calling all the mothers in my life. There’s my step-mom, Joanne, who, on top of being a most wonderful person, may well be my strongest promoter, Carol Roth, my best friend Rick’s mom, who probably saw me as much as my family did much of my youth, and my wonderful mother-in-law, Lydia, who, in addition to birthing a beautiful baby named Rose, always has some cake or some dessert waiting for me when I stop by. I love my many moms.

My real mom, Merle Benoit, died a few years ago.

It’s hard to feel sad when I think about her because more than anything, she taught me to laugh – at life and at myself – and even as I write this I’m smiling as I remember all the little things she said and did. They wouldn’t make sense to you but to me they are the source of more joy and happiness than I probably deserve.

She died before Rose and I moved overseas, before I even started writing Relative Danger. She never got to hear about our travels or share in the excitement that came with getting my first book published or the thrill of that Edgar nomination or the rush that comes with seeing a new book hit the stands.

Sometimes people who knew my mom show up at book signings. They often congratulate me on my success and say things like ‘your mom would be so proud of you.’ Yeah, she would have.

But the truth is my mom would have been proud of me if I failed at everything I tried to do. Because she was my mom.

I love my many moms.

And I miss the one I love the most every day.

No comments: