Saturday, June 16, 2007

Disaster Averted

Vicki here. That was close. As you know by now my new book, In the Shadow of the Glacier, is coming out from Poisoned Pen Press in September. The book is set in a fictional town in the Kootenay area of British Columbia. I am at this moment in the Kootenays working on the next book in the series. I was doing a Google search on something of interest in the Kootenays and typed in KootenEy. Google kindly informed me that I'd made a mistake with the spelling. And to my growing horror I realized that throughout the entire manuscript of Glacier, I spelled Kootenay wrong! Oh my gosh! What that would do for my professional image. I immediately tossed a e-mail off to Marilyn at Poisoned Pen, and, whew, the book hasn't gone to press yet. Could have been pretty embarrassing. Yes, I know it's fiction, but what would you think of someone who set a book in London, Englend?

I'm really excited about tonight. I'm going on a walk-along with a beat constable in Nelson. I'll report on my adventures soon.

More excitement - I got my schools assignment for the Authors in the Schools in Alaska in October. I am going to Sitka and the tiny community of Tenakee Springs. Tenakee Springs is described in the official Alaska community web page as having a population of 109 and "There is no community water, sewer or refuse service. Residents haul water from local streams or use individual wells. Privies are used for waste disposal. Homes are not fully plumbed." Charles is also taking part in the programme, so I'm looking forward to comparing notes on our communities.

Vicki

No comments: