Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Relaxing

Rick here.

My life has changed significantly lately. After stepping down as Crime Writers of Canada president after two glorious years in office (derisive snort injected here), I actually have a bit of time on my hands, something that's been in short supply since 2001 when I "retired" from teaching music at age 50.

My wife and I just got back from 9 days in the wilderness of Eastern Ontario near Lanark where we stayed in our friends' 1830 log home on an old 100-acre farm. We weren't really doing the pioneer thing since they now have water, a bathroom, an electric stove (replacing the old wood range), but it's still pretty basic. And that's the reason we like it. (We identified 44 species of birds!)

It took about 3 days to just sort my brain out, take a deep breath and slow everything down to the right speed, instead of the hyperdrive at which I generally live life. Since the place has a nice screen porch (also added on by our friends, giving a view of a 4-acre pond they had dug (ditto), I spent a good chunk of down time sitting there, looking at nature and reading.

Years ago, I used to read a book or two a week. Then came kids, 2 jobs (sometimes 3 if I was playing), my own writing, and just life in general. I keep a reader's journal, and in looking back at 2006, I found to my horror that I'd only read 5 books!

Well, I remedied that on my time off. I read 5 there and finished 1 more since returning home. So now I'm 1 ahead of last year's sorry total and it's only July. I plan to double that over the next 2 months. Now that's a goal I can get into!

But just to keep my workaholic ways honed to razor sharpness, I also began my next novel, contacted a bunch of people from whom I'm going to need information, practised trumpet, and began drafting changes I'd like to see with CWC's Arthur Ellis Awards of which I'm chair for next year.

I won't repeat what my darling wife said about that last part, since I was for me to totally relax.

Enjoy your own holidays whenever they occur!

1 comment:

Vicki Delany said...

Since I've been here, I've noticed that I'm walking slower. I stroll around the property or on the streets in town rather than rush.