Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Merry-Go-Round

Congratulations, Charles, on book #3! I'm proud to say that my third book, The Drop Edge of Yonder, came out as well just a couple of weeks ago. Mine was out earlier than expected so it would be ready for Bouchercon in Ancorage, and Charles' was put on the fast track for the same reason. Our publisher, Poisoned Pen Press, is celebrating its tenth anniversary at Bouchercon, and I understand that seventeen Poisoned Pen authors will make the trek and join in on the festivities, yours truly included. The press is also treating most of its employees (I think I heard the number 21 bantered about) to a trip to Alaska for the occasion. It should be quite the deal!

Bouchercon will be the first public event at which Drop Edge is available. The official book launch will be at Poisoned Pen Bookstore in Scottsdale, AZ, on Oct. 8. Barbara Peters, bookstore owner and my editor, is pairing me with a writer from New Mexico named Richard Benke, who's new book is called City of Stone, and with Nancy E. Turner of These is My Words fame. She has a new book out, too, called The Star Garden. Then I'm off to do another conference and a couple of gigs in Colorado before spending the rest of the fall promoting myself around AZ.

Last April, I was lucky enough to be asked to participate in a benefit event in Tucson for the U. of AZ Library's "Women of Mystery" special collection. (aside - can you imagine a university library establishing a special collection of the works and papers of women mystery writers? How cool is that?). One of the best things about this two day event was that it involved myself, fellow PPP author and friend Betty Webb, Alaska's Sue Henry, and J.A. Jance. We all spent considerable time together, and I heard quite a bit about what it's like to be a best selling author. I must say, I wouldn't refuse if it were offered me. In any event, I've kept in touch with all three, at least to the point of an occasional "How's it going" e-mail. I just sent an itenerary of my upcoming events to J.A. Jance, and she said that it sounded to her like I was "on the merry-go-round". I thought that sounded like a good description of what it feels like to put out a book a year and then spend months promoting same. And she's done it for over twenty years! She seems like a sane person, too, which gives me hope.

No comments: