Thursday, September 13, 2007

Promotion, I guess

Perhaps I was in a bad mood when I complained about how much I hate promotion (or perhaps I was just trying to get a discussion going - It worked!). But I am planning my trip to Alaska right now, and my big U.S. West Coast book tour, and I find myself looking forward to it all. As I mentioned earlier, along with Charles and Debby and some other authors, I'll be visiting some schools. I'm really looking forward to that. All those innocent young minds! Kids are fun to talk to, they (hopefully) haven't gotten too cynical yet, and their enthusiasm rubs off on you. I visited a book club at a very expensive private school a few years back. The book club was for credit so they kinda had to be there. One girl almost fell out of her seat in her enthusiasm to ask questions. She wrote down every word I said. A boy was almost asleep. The teacher asked if he'd read the book. "Nope". But that girl made up for it. I have a couple of library visits lined up in Alaska as well; library members make great audiences as well. Because they love books.

So I am travelling to wonderful places, meeting great people, talking about books, probably even discovering fabulous new authors. Not so hard to take.

But at the heart of it, what bothers me about the promotion side of the business, is the time and money required. None of us are in this to make ourselves rich beyond the dreams of avarice, but it does seem unfair that someone with a full-time job, maybe little kids at home, or limited financial resources, can't make it these days, unless they've written a once-in-a-lifetime book and gotten a ginormous advance.

Perhaps the absolute best part of being a writer for me is the book launch party. And mine is now planned. If you happen to be in Nelson B.C. on October 20th, drop into the Vienna Cafe at 7:00. It's going to be the social event of the literary season. Or one of them.

No comments: