Thursday, October 18, 2007

Launch Control

Charles at the helm.

Friday night I officially launch Noble Lies here in Rochester. It’s a big soirée at the two-story Barnes & Noble in Pittsford and to say I’m excited is one of them there classic understatements you always here about. But more than excited I feel humbled. I don’t know what to say – not at the launch, that’ll come easy. I mean right now, this moment. It’s all so unreal.

Noble Lies is my third book. Third. That blows me away every time I think about it. I know, I should be the confident author, boldly launching book after book, so self-assured he can’t imagine anything less. But sometimes I can’t imagine any of it has happened for me. People I don’t know, who owe me nothing, read my books and enjoy them. A lot. That’s frickin’ amazing. The reviews have been excellent, I’ve won a few awards, been nominated for more, and as for sales, well, I’m not starving. I won’t say anything so cliché as ‘it’s like I’m living in a dream’ because it’s not since nobody’s riding a giant pink giraffe and George Washington isn’t singing Minnie the Moocher as he eats a bowling ball, but it is really strange. Cool strange, yeah, but strange, like when you’re thinking about a song and you turn on the radio and there it is, only a lot cooler and stranger.

I think of myself as a reader first, a writer second. I’ve spent many more hours reading than writing or even thinking about writing and while you could say that the reading process is part of the writing process, I was too deep into the story at the time to think about anything but the next line. Maybe it’s subconscious, I don’t know. But somewhere along the way, I started writing things I wanted others to read – Vanity? Posterity? Ignorance? – and somewhere along the way, people started to read it – Pity? Curiosity? Accidentally? – and then it turns out I’m a good writer and people like to read it and there you go, it’s all too strange to figure out. Which is why I don’t know what to say right now and why this entry really reads that way, like I’ve never written a coherent sentence in my life.

So Friday night I officially launch Noble Lies here in Rochester. I wish you could all be there. And I wish, I realize now as I write it, that I want this amazing humbling frickin cool strange feeling to last forever.

1 comment:

L.L. Bartlett said...

Sorry I missed it. But I'll be at another of your signings in the next couple of weeks.