Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My "tag" list

First of all, here are the sentences from the book I grabbed off the shelf. Believe it or not (and I had my eyes closed), the book is 1001 Ways to Market Your Books by John Kremer. It's a very useful book, if somewhat optimistic as you shall see. The section where my words come from is titled "Publishers – How to help Your Authors". Here's what's on page 123 following the 5th sentence:

"Support your authors with material for doing bookstore appearances and media interviews. For major titles and other books that lend themselves to a national tour, help to organize such a tour and pay the author's expenses. National tours are one of the best ways to establish a nationwide demand for a book -- and such widespread demand can often propel a book onto the bestsellers list."

Wow! There it is. That's what we've all been doing wrong. I knew we were missing something in the way we promote our novels. Now that we know, we can all show our publishers this and get them onto the promotional bandwagon with us. Happy days are here again. See you all on the bestsellers list!

The people I'm tagging are: Lyn Hamilton who writes the Lara McClintock archeological mystery series (lynhamilton.com), Maureen Jennings who has two very successful series (maureenjennings.com), Linwood Barclay, a remarkably clever and funny man whose books are really very fine and as funny as he is, well, all except the most recent one (linwoodbarclay.com), Barbara Fradkin, who writes a series set in Ottawa (a hotbed of crime if there ever was one) and has one back-to-back Arthur Ellis Awards for Best Novel (barbarafradkin.com) and Giles Blunt, a person I hate because he writes such damned fine novels and because he also sings and plays guitar very well (gilesblunt.com).

They all have pretty good websites too. Make sure you visit, but also make sure you pick up at least one of their books!

On the word front: Just heard one of my "pet peeve" words used on the radio on the drive home today: fulsome. In this case, the announcer said that a particularly troublesome issue was "going to undergo a fulsome review and discussion by city council."

I really laughed out loud at this, because it was just so perfect. Yes, I am aware that fulsome originally meant something like "copious" or "abundant", but the word changed quite some tim ago and now means something like "aesthetically, morally, or generally offensive".

That about says it all in this context, doesn't it?

I also love it when music reviewers (usually of classical music) refer to the sound of an orchestra or ensemble as "fulsome". Do they really mean what they seem to be saying, the group's sound is "exceeding the bounds of good taste"?

2 comments:

Charles benoit said...

Thanks Rick, I was looking for the right word to use in my bio

Rick Blechta said...

And I hope "fulsome" wasn't it!