Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Out of Order

Vicki here - a day late.
Out of Order. Isn’t that the name of one of Charles’s books? I missed my posting date yesterday because, in the opposite of being too busy, I didn’t do much of anything. You know the old saying – if you want something done, ask a busy person? The Tulip Festival is on in Ottawa, and the city looks lovely. As part of the festival, we got a nice brochure in the mailbox listing all the events. And what do you know – Salman Rushdie is speaking tonight. After reading Charles’s post and Donis’ comment, I’m going to head down and try to get a ticket. Later in the month Jared Diamond will be here. I’ll try and get to hear him as well. He’s best known for Guns, Germs and Steel and Collapse. If you haven’t read them, do your intellect a favour and do so. Reading Diamond just amazes me as to how one person can know so many different things. Yes, yes, I’m sure he has research assistants, tons of them, but someone has to tie it all together.
I am thinking this morning about how much privacy there is on the Internet. Well, none, we all know that, I’m writing this blog entry hoping people will read it. But our e-mails? Someone posted an entry to a private discussion group mentioning a big Internet presence. They almost immediately got a message from said presence rapping their knuckles. In Red China Blues by Jan Wong which I mentioned last week, Wong talks about the persuasive spying on everyone by everyone and reporting any minor indiscretion to the authorities. Are we in the West progressing so fast that we don’t need anyone to report us? We’re doing it ourselves?

2 comments:

Charles benoit said...

And if anyone needs the pass code to log into the hidden cameras in Vicki's Florida villa, just drop me a note.

Rick Blechta said...

How about a C#? Would that get me the pass code?

;)