Friday, June 20, 2008

Top Ten Top Ten

Charles’ turn

I caught the movie countdown (up?) that Debby wrote about below, and I really enjoyed her lists of movies and books that have made various Top Ten lists. Naturally, that got me thinking about my Top Ten movies and Top Ten mysteries, and that got me thinking about my Top Ten albums, Top Ten TV series, Top Ten comics, Top Ten vacation destinations, Top Ten martini bars, Top Ten David Letterman’s Top Ten lists, Top Ten jazz bands, Top Ten sports plays, and on and on until I finally reached the core Top Ten list: My Top Ten Top Ten Lists.

10. Top Ten Impossible Plays by Michael Jordan

9. Top Ten Bush-isms

8. Top Ten TV Bloopers Involving News Anchors

7. Top Ten Facial Tattoos

6. Top Ten Nonsensical Uses of English on Product Packaging

5. Top Ten Movie Car Chases

4. Top Ten Worst Persons in the World Segments on Countdown with Keith Olbermann

3. Top Ten P. G. Wodehouse Quotes

2. Top Ten Versions of Bands Covering Cab Calloway’s Minnie the Moocher

1. Top Ten Laughing Baby Videos

A few notes:

10. Kobe is good, King James is good, Magic was good, Larry was good, but Michael was brilliant.

9. These can either be deliberately stupid things he’s said or things that just came out funny. Sadly, the actual list is closer to 1,000.

8. Especially when they get a case of the giggles. Staged bloopers are an anathema.

7. For his visionary and groundbreaking leadership, the guy known as The Enigma has transcended this list and has joined the gods.

6. Only counts items I have personally seen. My most recent addition to the list (the new #7) is from the box that the Chinese waving cat got me for Christmas came in. “Cat brings you very best wishes may happity & happy hocks be with you forever.” By the way, since Rose gave me this cat my life has been one happity, happy hock after another.

5. And Bullet is not #1.

4. The show is #1 on my Top Ten Must See TV Shows. Number 2 is Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Numbers 3 through 10 are at present vacant.

3. My goal as a writer is to create a single line that would be worthy of Wodehouse. So far I have yet to do it. From the list: #6 "On the occasions when Aunt is calling to Aunt like mastodons bellowing across primeval swamps..." and #3 “Into the face of the young man who sat on the terrace of the Hotel Magnifique at Cannes there had crept a look of furtive shame, the shifty, hangdog look which announces that an Englishman is about to talk French.”

2. As one or two of you know, I host a little show called the Smart Set on Jazz 90.1 every Saturday night from 5-6pm EST. Each week this year I’m featuring a version of Minnie the Moocher by artists other than Cab Calloway. Last night Rose and I saw the band that does the #1 version - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. You can hear their version when you visit the Jukebox link at the site.

1. The Champ is posted below.

PS: This Sunday’s guest blogger is mystery author Kelly Jones. If you love art mysteries – and who doesn’t? – be sure to tune in.



2 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

Well, Charles, I have to take you to task for one thing on your otherwise very entertaining and informative posting.

It's my personally-held opinion that no one but Cab Calloway should ever be allowed to do "Minnie the Moocher", and since he's now gone to that big nightclub in the sky, it's up to us mere mortals to pick his best rendition of his most famous song.

Your fav, while very good (love the plunger trumpet action in the opening -- he does it well), is just too damn white bread to cut it. My opinion only, but Cab was da man, da only man!

The song I collect bad (and good) versions of (mostly bad, though) is "Cold Sweat".

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

What a great baby--he's going to be very popular in college, LOL. Maybe one of us will have him in a class, ha ha.

I'll bet you don't care, as long as she's bringing you luck, but your cat is called a maneki neko (Japanese, btw), and is a popular good-luck gift when someone opens a new business. Weren't you dying to know that?

I'm not sure about Enigma being good luck, however, hmmm...