Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Your repaired lightsaber is ready for pick-up.

Vicki, try this:

Go out for a good long walk or drive -- and you have the weather and location to really enjoy that today.

Just empty your mind out. Try to get your consciousness "only into the present", no thinking about anything in the past or future. (Staring out at something really helps here.) DO NOT think about your new project!

Within a short space of time, your brain will begin to work on its own and you might very well find the inspiration you're lacking.

I often find this is the way to get moving again. Since I have to start and stop so much with my writing, this is the only thing that has kept me with a modicum of sanity, and so far it's never failed.

Occasionally it takes longer, sometimes even a day goes by, but the answer has always come eventually.

One other dodge that at least allows you to feel as if you haven't wasted your entire writing time, is to move on to a scene you envision farther down the line. I also make it a habit of writing "backstory" stuff that will never be in the ms but gives me valuable information about the make up of a character in the story: a seminal incident from childhood, for instance.

Hope this helps. If it doesn't, you've at least enjoyed a nice day out.

4 comments:

Donis Casey said...

Are you a student of Zen, Rick? Perhaps in a past life? You've described a very Zen technique. It really works, too Vicki.

Rick Blechta said...

No, actually I studied French horn with Harry Berv in New York and Bill Karstens in Montreal. There was some piano with Thomas Lishman and Leslie Kinton, jazz organ with Weldon Irvine, trumpet with...

;) I know, I know, I'm a cheeky bastard.

Vicki Delany said...

Thanks Rick, that was nice advice. I went to a funeral today for a very much beloved uncle. My aunt introduced me to everyone as "This is my niece Vicki. She's a mystery writer." It was nice.

Rick Blechta said...

My condolences, Vicki.

My much beloved uncle (who is still alive and kicking at 95) introduces me to everyone as, "This is my nephew Rick. He's a big jerk." But that's the way he introduces most people.

Blechtas have an odd sort of charm...