Monday, October 27, 2008


If it’s Monday, this must be Vicki

Villains, did someone mention villains? Did you know, incidentally, that the word villain is derived from the mediaeval word for the peasantry (base, or low-born). Which, surely, is a perfect example of the premise that history is written by the winners, because I’d guess that the aristocracy (what today we’d call the kleptrocracy) were more likely to be villainous in the modern sense.

I started a new book today. I already have a title “A History of War”. It’s a standalone, along the lines of my first novels, Burden of Memory, and Scare the Light Away. I like Charles's description of how the villain creates the hero, and I spent a lot of time over the weekend thinking about my villain, or bad guy. Unfortunately, he/she remains but a vague shape in my mind. I sort of think I know why he/she is villainous and what nefarious deeds she/he is up to. But I guess I’m more oriented towards the main character, the protagonist. She springs forth like Zeus from my bow, a fully formed character. Perhaps because my standalone protagonists are always damaged in some way, and the cause of their despair, and the way in which they can reclaim their lives, is the focus of the book. The villain is just tossed in to give them a noble cause to fight against, and thus reclaim themselves.

First person to correctly name the man in the black hat in the above picture of ‘villains’ will win an advance reading copy of Valley of the Lost. Leave your guess in the comments for all to see, plus go to my web page and send me an e-mail. That way I can get the winner's address and still retain everyone’s anonymousness (is that a word?)

Members of this blog can not enter. That means you, Rick, because I know you know who it is.

2 comments:

Donis Casey said...

Well, I know who it is, too, Vicki. Drat.

Kerrie said...

It's John Cleese Vicki. But I'm in Australia so if you decide not to send the book to me - that's ok. I'll email you anyway.