Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sunday's Guest Blogger: Sean Chercover

Hi folks,

Today we're welcoming Sean Chercover, a sort of Canadian (he was born here), sort of American (he's lived a lot of his life south of the 49th) crime novelist whose second novel, Trigger City is just out. I've read his first, Big City Bad Blood and it's a terrific hard-boiled PI novel. Read this man's novels! That's an order!! You will not be sorry.

And now, we'll turn it over to Sean...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Bouchercon and beyond…

By Sean Chercover

(Thanks to Rick and the Type M for Murder gang, for inviting me here today)

Greetings from Baltimore! This is the last day of Bouchercon, the numero uno crime fiction convention, and it has been a blast. Tomorrow, Agent 99 and The Mouse and I will load up the car and head for New York City, where I’m signing with Zoe Sharp at Partners and Crime on Tuesday.

See, Tuesday is the on-sale date for Zoe’s new Charlie Fox thriller, Third Strike, and mine, Trigger City.

Following New York, I’ll be on the road for about 6 weeks. Six weeks of driving town-to-town, up and down the dial, giving talks in bookstores and libraries. Beats the hell out of working for a living but tiring, nonetheless. Some people have suggested that the timing is terrible, because Bouchercon is such an intense party and I’ll be hitting the road exhausted.

Not so. Because Bouchercon, for me, is energizing. Gathering together with fellow crime fiction devotees, (readers, writers, publishers, booksellers, librarians…) reminds us that we are not alone in our particular madness, and helps offset the solitary nature of our work.

And this Bouchercon has been stellar, thanks in large part to the work of Judy Bobalik and Ruth Jordan, this year’s event co-chairs. A round of applesauce for Judy and Ruth!

My only regret was not getting to spend more than a few minutes at the Authors Without Borders party. As a dual citizen, I always enjoy showing up American and welcoming myself to the party on behalf of Canada. This year, Meet The Canucks and Bloody Brits were merged into Authors Without Borders, and from the looks of things, the party was huge, and a huge success.

But daddy-duties cannot always be timed around such things, and The Mouse needed his dad, so I had to flee just after I arrived.

Anyway, I’m now off to the Anthony Brunch, and then it will all be over for another year. In the meantime, I’ll have the Love is Murder (Chicago) and Bloody Words (Ottawa) conventions – two terrific events with a smaller, more intimate atmosphere than the tsunami that is Bouchercon.

If you love crime fiction (and I assume you do, since you’re reading this) and you haven’t been to a mystery/thriller convention … you need to rectify that. Once you come to one of these things, once you convene with your fellow crime fiction tribesmen (and tribeswomen), you will make it a habit.

Look for me in the bar…

No comments: