Saturday, January 03, 2009

It's Quiet Out There

...too quiet.  I suppose it's the function of the holidays, and everyone being involved with travel, family, and friends, but there simply hasn't been much activity on any of my regular blog and chat room reads.  I assume that Monday the New Year will begin in earnest and everyone will get back to their online reading and writing.  At least I hope that's what it is, and not just that everyone is too depressed by the state of the economy to move.  If that's the case, I don't expect things to pick up until after January 20.

Not everyone is on vacation, though.  Thanks to good old Google Alerts, I discovered that my first book, The Old Buzzard Had It Coming, was named in the First Annual Lowhead Dam Awards for Crime Fiction by Corey Wilde over on his Drowning Machine blog (http://drowningmachine.blogspot.com )  He gave Buzzard  the "Dam with Faint Praise" award, which doesn't sound all that edifying at first, but what he says is,  "I'm still surprised that a noir/hardboiled fan like me could go for a book like this, but good is good."  

I like that.

He gives several awards, such as the Dam Skippy Award, the Hot Dam Award, the Dam Your Eyes Award, and the Not Worth A Tinker's Dam Award (to a book by a very famous and notorious author whose initials are J.P.).  It's fun to see the books he chose, and see if you agree.  I got a couple of good ideas for my TBR pile, as well.

p.s. Thanks to Rick Blechta for helping me get the above link to work.  If you tuned in earlier, you know that I complained bitterly about my inability to do so.  Good thing I have technologically competent blogmates.

2 comments:

Kay said...

Donis, just wanted to tell you that I'm so looking forward to coming to your signing on January 17th at the Poison Pen. My husband and I will be in Phoenix for a few days and our flight will get in that Saturday in time for me to attend. Yay!! I'm excited about your new book and meeting you!

Donis Casey said...

Fantastic, Kay. Be sure to come up and say hi.