Saturday, January 17, 2009

Real Life

I missed my post last Saturday because Don has been in the hospital again.  On January 5th, after being achy and lethargic for several days, he began to act confused and disoriented, so I took him into the ER here in Tempe, where they discovered that his kidneys had failed.  They did a bunch of tests and found that both his kidneys were obstructed by great big stones, so they put him on dialysis, and transfered him to a hospital in Mesa, where they have a urologist on staff.  The urologist tried to put a stint up his ureters, but the stones are too big and stuck, so they stuck tubes in his sides and his kidneys have now been draining into bags for the past several days.  Fortunately, that seems to have cured his head, and he's back to his obdurate self.  The plan was to let his kidneys "cool down" for a couple of weeks and then take out the stones surgically.  


HOWEVER, in the process, they discovered that he has a heart problem, and did an angiogram and echocardiogram and x-rays and EKGs and lung tests and everything else there is to do.  The plan now is that they have to take care of the heart problem before the kidney deal.  Long, long story short, he came home Friday morning, tubes and all. That’s ten days and twelve nights in the hospital! He’ll go back in next Wednesday morning for another heart test and if necessary a defibrillator implant.  They assure us that this is just an overnight deal. Then, a couple of weeks after that, he’ll have the stones removed.  I guess his warranty expired on his 65th birthday and everything fell apart at once!  At this point, we're just taking everything one step at a time.

 

I still plan to do the book launch for The Sky Took Him at Poisoned Pen Bookstore today (Saturday) at 2 p.m.  A friend has volunteered to stay with Don, so I won't have to worry about him.

 

He's getting around very well, so I don't feel bad about leaving him alone for short periods, i.e. I went to Walgreen's to fill his prescriptions after we got home, and he lay on the couch and napped while I was gone.  Friday, I managed to plan some sort of outfit so that I wouldn’t look like the dog's dinner at the book launch, and I spent some time trying to think of one or two witty things to say.  After the launch, my calender is clear until mid-Feb., and I expect to get more house and yard work done than I've been able to do for ages.


As for writing ... hmmm.  I fear that my one book per year plan may be knocked into a cocked hat.  Same for trying to publicize Sky.  I’ve cancelled most of the appearances I had planned.  Too bad, because I really like this book.  It’s getting wonderful reviews - in fact I was told that a review showed up in USA Today.  I haven’t seen it, of course, but it’s quoted on the Poisoned Pen Bookstore website and looks very nice.  


I won’t belabor the illness saga on Type M, but next week I’ll try to post the highlights of the story over on my own web site, for those of you who are masochists.


As for what this means for my writing career ... I think I’m about to discover what happens to a book when it launches with no help from its author.  I’ll let you know how it stands or falls.

8 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

Poor Don, I do hope he recovers from all his ills. I hope to see you both feeling well when I'm in Arizona in March.

Lesa said...

Donis,

Hang in there. I'll see you this afternoon, and I'm going to post my review on Amazon this morning. Anything I can do to help. My review is not only in usatoday.com, but also on GlendaleDailyPlanet.com. Might sound weird, but you have fans in Oklahoma that read the GlendaleDailyPlanet.

Hugs, Donis. And, you need this afternoon to celebrate yourself. I'll be posting my summary of today on the blog & Planet tomorrow.

Rick Blechta said...

My very best wishes to you both.

I wondered where you'd gotten off to last week. I was thinking Zanzibar. That would have been a lot more entertaining than where you were!

Donis Casey said...

I'd a'ruther been in Zanzibar by a long shot, Rick.

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

Donis,
Our best wishes for Don's speedy recovery are with you! Your book will do well--I can't wait to get it myself. Big hugs to you,
Debby

Anonymous said...

Great informаtіon. Luckу mе
I dіscovered your sіte by chаnce (ѕtumbleupon).
I have boоk-markeԁ it for latеr!

Mу wеb page :: boom trucks
My page : bucket truck

Anonymous said...

Gгeat information. Luckу me Ι discoνегed yοur site
bу сhаnce (stumbleupon). I have book-marκeԁ it for lаtег!


Hеre іs my web blog ... boom trucks
My site: bucket truck

Anonymous said...

Just want tο say yοur artіclе is as аmazing.
The clearness іn your ρost іs simply greаt and i can аssume yοu're an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.

My web-site ... altec
Here is my web-site using a bucket truck