Monday, January 05, 2009

Two Things I've Learned

Vicki here. Holidays are over – back to work, everyone.

To start the new year off, here are two things I’ve recently learned:

1) A working sump pump is very important.

2) There is a reason people who live in cold climates don’t have cornrows in their hair.

In case further explanation is required:

1) I returned from a fabulous week in the Dominican Republic with all my family to find, literally, three feet of water in the basement. I took off my clothes, waded into the water and attempted to release the pump. The water was colder than it had been in the DR. I was later informed by one of my children that I had been lucky there wasn’t a loose electrical connection floating around. Duh! I had no luck with the pump and a plumber had to be called (Sunday rates, natch). The sump pump had broken while I was away, just in time for a thaw that melted several feet of snow and then a heavy rainstorm. Fortunately, my basement is just a cellar, so I don’t keep anything down there. Except the furnace – which is no longer working having being immersed in water. On the bright side, I have two fireplaces so the house is warm and toasty without the furnace.

2) I have long blond hair, so while in the Dominican, I decided to get cornrows (really tight braids with beads at the end) put into my hair. It was fun, and I thought I looked pretty snazzy. However, now that I’m back in Ontario I find that the beads get cold and snap against my neck and shoulders, my scalp is exposed to the icy air, and the whole mess keeps getting tangled in my scarf.



Wishing everyone a healthy, happy, prosperous New Year, with piles of books to read and time to write to your heart’s content.

1 comment:

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

Love your hair! You could do that at LCC and not be cold.