Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's not my fault!

Blechta here, fuming...

Last week it was my computer acting up. Seems I'd filled the hard drive too much and need a bigger one. Anyway, all my survey data wasn't accessible. It's amazing how much we rely on computers.

Now I'm writing this entry on someone a neighbour's computer. This time the problem isn't mine. My Internet service is down. No email, no web, and also no phone since their computer system handles all of the answering stuff for them. We can phone out but anyone phoning us, just gets a fast busy signal.

I wonder if we can do this blog with smoke signals? There's enough of that coming out my ears at the moment that even Debby in Hawaii should be able to see. And no, Charles, that's NOT a major fire across the lake in Toronto.

3 comments:

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

Argh, Rick, the frustration! I often wonder if terrorists might attack the world wide web and bring down the civilized world. I use my cell phone for email on the run, driving directions, restaurant reviews, etc. And I'm the one who rants against technology from time to time, too. Sheesh.

Donis Casey said...

Mercy me! I was just thinking of writing a story about what would happen if all the computers went away. Then I sit down to check Type M and voila! You're living it, Rick. I must be psychic.

Rick Blechta said...

Actually, the most recent Die Hard movie deals with just that sort of thing. It's called a "fire sale" because "everything must go". We're so dependent on technology now to get our work done, that it's really frightening.

A sideways thought: if everything did go out, we could still read by candlelight -- assuming we still have candles!