Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Type M for Murder E-book Survey

Blechta here.

Okay, I was being more than a little tongue-in-cheek when I referred to “the flood of answers” I expected to get for my informal survey. Surprisingly, that wasn't far off. While calling it a flood is a little bit over the top, we did get a respectable 88 people responding. Many thanks to all of you for participating!

I've collated all the responses, but rather than just give a bunch of dry numbers, I’ve decided to do it more anecdotally since we’re interested in writing, not statistics, aren’t we?

1. I have/have not tried an electronic readers.

This question was very evenly split with 45 people having tried them and 43 not. After this, the comments were generally positive for people who had bought them, not surprising since they’ve shelled out money. Only 15 people really disliked the experience of using a reader.

2. I own an electronic reader.

We only had 17 respondents who own a reader. Of those, 14 loved them, 3 did not -- but they had very good reasons for this: “The interface is clunky.” “The screen is difficult to see, especially in bright light situations.”

3. I would like to own an electronic reader.

This one really surprised me. Fully 69 of our 88 respondents would like to own a reader (this does include all but 1 of the people who already owned one. That shows there’s less resistance to these than I would have thought. That’s a good sign.

4. Electronic readers are an abomination! I will never own one!!

Only six people agreed with this statement. This is in line with the third question. These are the real diehard book fans. The rest of us are far more ambivalent about e-books and readers. The comments were more of the sort that many saw a place to use e-books (travelling, work-related, commuting), but preferred to do their recreational reading using books.

This is as far as I can go with the survey results for this week. I’m still getting in results from authors and reviewers. Publishers are somewhat reticent to answer. This may be because they have plans not yet ready to announce and they don’t want to say anything ahead of time. That’s only speculation on my part, though.

Next week: the rest of the survey. Please stay tuned!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

We’re all really excited and honoured here at Type M to have been chosen one of the Top 100 Creative Writing Blogs by best collegesonline.com. www.bestcollegesonline.com/blog/2009/02/05/top-100-creative-writing-blogs/)

I would imagine that part of the reason we were chosen is due to all of you who comment on our weekly ramblings. Your input is greatly appreciated!

By the way, if you have a hot idea for a topic, don’t hesitate to let one of us know.

No comments: