Monday, June 29, 2009

Book Clubs and Adjectives














Vicki here on Monday. These pictures were taken at a book club I attended last week in Oakville, Ontario. The women of the club read Gold Digger and invited me to come and talk to them about the book. One of the women dressed the part, complete with antique cape with jet beading. I am in my Savoy Dance Hall Owner Hat. What a lot of fun, helped by the number of bottles of wine visible in the picture, and really interesting conversation.

In other news, my friend Julia visited me this weekend. We went to the wonderful Books and Company bookstore in Picton, where Julia was thrilled to find a copy of the just released The Angel’s Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. She is a big fan of Zafon and was eagerly awaiting the new book. If you can tell by advance press and book reviews, this book is going to be a big, big thing. Julia abandoned the book she was reading and dove right into the Zafton.

She read me a quote from page one:

Don Basilio was a forbidding-looking man with a bushy moustache who did not suffer fools and who subscribed to the theory that the liberal use of adverbs and adjectives was the mark of a pervert or someone with a vitamin deficiency.
Now who does that remind you of? Hint, refer post of June 15th titled “Stop that! She said angrily.”