Sunday, July 19, 2009

Today's Guest Blogger: Deanna Varble

Today we get to chat with social media expert, web guru and out-there thinker Deanna Varble. Deanna has seen the future of author-reader connections and has a nifty suggestion as to how it can pay off - in readers and in good old fashioned cash.


Give the fans what they want: MORE

So I’m sitting in front of my TV Thursday night and J.K. Rowling confirms my fears. My favorite authors have been holding out on me! In your brain – in the lovely, lovely creative spheres that sit on top of your necks are WORLDS past the end of the book.

And you NEED to share them with me. Well, okay – need might be a little dramatic. But I WANT you to. In fact, I want you to SO much that I would more than likely (pay) you for access into that world.

I mean, hell, I’m as attached to these characters as you are. In fact – I might be MORE so (believe that or not) because I’m sooooooo like your character. Okay – I’ll admit it, I’ve fabricated my own sad belief that I really am that character, and obliviously that character’s fantastic plot & success is somehow going to help me deal (or ignore) with my own life struggles.

That or the character is married to a really hot hockey player / Anthony-Bourdain-like snarky culinary genius and I’m just vicariously living through the romance scenes. In either regard – I’m hooked and I’m willing to give you (or your publisher) my eye traffic (Possibly leading to advertising rev for your next book) or maybe even a small amount of cash depending on my devotion. (If you’re Jodi Picolt, call me!) In return for my time/money I would like to know the rest of this character’s story.

So what are you going to do about it? May I suggest a blog. A character blog. It’s free, it’s easy, it’s what I read during my lunch break (and in between) anyway. I mean, think about it – people write blogs all day long about what they’ve had for lunch and the last time they used the loo – why can’t my favorite characters tell me what’s going on in their world like humans do?

Bloggers are already becoming authors with devoted fans, writing books and getting movies.(P.S. If you’re Julie Powell, call me!) So why can’t it work in reverse? You give me the continuing story, I’ll give you my time (and okay, possibly my money. And definitely if you can get your character blog available on my Kindle.)

And I mean, it’s not like you have to create a perfect plot to be solved in 200 pages – a paragraph at a time will satiate me for the next 24 hours or so. And a LOT can happen in 24 hours (as Jack Bauer can tell you). In fact one day in the life of a character can set into motion the ending or beginning of the next chapter, right? So lets live it a day at a time. Like a journey. Together.

5 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

I just might do that. Fiona MacGillivray can probably write a pretty interesting blog.

Charles benoit said...

I want to see Molly Smith's police reports from Trafalgar...

Anonymous said...

I'd pay something to read character blogs, but probably not a lot. But if you get a few thousand people willing to do that, you could make some money.

Vicki Delany said...

I've done it! Check it out: http://klondikeandtrafalgar.blogspot.com/

Deardeedle said...

Vicki - I'm going to have to check it out! And Anonymous - I'm with you. I'd pay something. I think the thing about the pay for play is more about dedicated interest than anything. Although it's good to make money.