Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Breaking the Norms of Genre Fiction


Vicki here, pondering the old outlining question. Charles, John, and Donis almost came to virtual blows over the relative merits of outline vs. non outline vs sorta outline.

I have mentioned in the past that I am a sorta outliner, meaning I have a rough idea of where I am going, a pretty good idea of where I want to start and the rest is seat-of-the-pants stuff. My one great exception to that rule is about to see the inside of a bookstore.

Way back in January 2008, I wrote about the book I was just beginning in which I had a completely realized idea for the opening scene and then not a clue as to what would happen after. http://typem4murder.blogspot.com/2008/01/flying-without-net.html

I followed that posting up in June 2008 with an analysis of the process.
http://typem4murder.blogspot.com/2008/07/net-i-dont-need-net.html

Well, that book is titled Winter of Secrets and will be released by Poisoned Pen Press on November 1, 2009.

Which, come to think of it is a pretty tight time-frame. Less than two years from initial thought process to sitting-on-the-shelves!

One more thing about Winter of Secrets: there is a dead body (two dead bodies, actually) in Chapter One. The police arrive at the scene. And from then on it completely deviates from the supposed norms of the mystery novel as we’ve also been discussing here of late. Unfortunately I can’t say how without giving away the plot and the ending. But I am very interested in how that will be received.

Stay tuned, I will be offering a Winter of Secrets ARC contest in the fall.

5 comments:

LINDA M. FAULKNER said...

Hi, all:

Just gave your blog a Kreative Blogger award: http://carolinaconspiracyblog.blogspot.com/

LINDA M. FAULKNER said...

Helps to give you the right link, eh? http://lindamfaulkner.blogspot.com/2009/08/why-am-i-kreative-blogger.html

Vicki Delany said...

Thanks Linda!

Charles benoit said...

Wow, even with me blogging on the site? Credit truly goes to Vicki, Rick, Donis, John and Debby (but you can bet I'll brag it up like it was all me) Thanks for the nod, Linda. And thanks for carrying me, my fellow Type M bloggers.

Donna Carrick said...

An interesting subject: To outline or not to outline. I can't wait till "Winter Of Secrets" hits the shelf. I always look for the next Delany book!
Donna Carrick
www.donnacarrick.com