Monday, September 07, 2009

Deadlines and Tomatoes


Vicki here wishing everyone a happy Labour Day.

I am lucky in that deadlines are never much of a problem for me. As my editor once said, “I know you’re good for it.” When I was at school or working I was always in a panic – if I wasn’t finished a couple of weeks before the project was due, it was panic time.

I’ve always been amazed at people who let things drift up until the last minute. I worked with one guy who fiddled around for weeks, and then about 4 PM the night before the project was due got into a sweat and worked all night. I remember one of my daughters phoning from University because she was printing off her essay and the printer had failed and it had to be handed in in TEN MINUTES.

I wondered why she hadn’t printed it off three or four days ago.

There was a good article in the Globe and Mail on Saturday by Will Ferguson on writing and procrastination.

Not writing is the easiest thing in the world to do. And that's what an author means when she says she is “working” on a book. Working means “not writing.” Working means reading, working means “research.” Working means watching TV. Working means taking long diversionary walks. Working means perusing newspapers with an unnaturally intense interest. It means everything and anything except the actual act of writing.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/hows-the-book-going-well-let-me-tell-you/article1276747/

I finished the fourth in the Smith and Winters series yesterday, tentative title Negative Image. Finished is a relative term, because my agent and editor will no doubt have suggestions.

So today I am taking the day off – fitting for Labour Day. Although ‘day off’ is also sometimes a relative term. The above picture gives you an idea of what I will be doing.

So because today is my day off, that's all for my post!

2 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

You're going to be eating all those tomatoes???

Rick Blechta said...

Oh, and congrats!