Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Holiday Thoughts


Happy Holidays to all. It’s Wednesday, so it’s Debby this morning and I’m in Wyoming, where there’s hardly any snow. Usually it’s piled higher than the cars on the roads. This picture is of last year's snowfall, just so you believe me. This year, however, it went elsewhere—one son is stuck in Boston with thousands of other stranded travelers, dealing with the airlines’ struggles to get runways cleared, planes up, and people out. We think he’s on his way this morning, and hope that everyone on the road and in the air gets to their destination safely.

Our family has spent Christmas here in a cabin in the woods for the last seventeen years, and I love the peace and tranquility. I look forward to it. Oh yeah, there’s also one of the best ski areas in the Northern Hemisphere (will I start an argument with that statement?) about a half hour away. I love that, too.

But things are changing. Our sons are both in college, and they would prefer to spend the holidays in Honolulu where they can reconnect with hometown friends (and go to parties). Next year, we’ll probably bend to their desires, and my husband and I will escape to our little refuge in January or February. I’ll need to let go of my self-constructed traditions. Will I pack up the Christmas ornaments the kids made in Kindergarten? Will we struggle with other islanders to buy a tree that was cut before Thanksgiving, instead of putting on snowshoes (usually) and hiking into the forest to cut our own?

On the bright side, maybe we’ll go to more holiday parties. Maybe even invite good friends over for one of our own. Life changes, doesn’t it? Maybe I’ll even get a bit more writing done over the holidays. Wait—I’ll still have to cook, wrap, clean, and…forget it. That isn’t going to happen between December 15th and January 2nd.

Despite all the festivities, part of me is itching to get back to my stories. And does anyone else find that getting back in the flow is a struggle after a couple of weeks off? I’m going to spend a week writing crap before the words come easily and the characters find their missions.

But that’s okay, it’s part of the process. Happy holidays!

3 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family. We have almost no snow here, and -15 degree temps.

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

Merry Christmas to all!

Donis Casey said...

What a beautiful bunch.