Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Waiting Game

John here, fighting a terrible cold, so I'll be brief.

As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, I finished a novel this month. Over the past two weeks, I have edited it myself—a tireless, exhausting process that left me rundown and susceptible to a cold of Olympic proportions. Then I had it proofed by a mystery-lover and friend who copyedits for the school where I work. Sunday night, I sent it off to my agent, Bob Mecoy.

Now I wait.

Bob is a terrific agent. He’s everything you could ask for in an agent. He knows what is going on at the major and independent houses and knows which editors are looking for certain types of books. Most importantly for me right now, he was on the other side of the desk. For 25 years, as an editor, he worked with authors including Sara Paretski, Robert B. Parker, and Patricia Cornwell. In short, I’ve learned more from this guy during his phone critiques of my work than I did in grad school. He knows writing, and he knows the genre.

So, as I cough and sneeze my way through this post, I wait to hear if Bob thinks changes to the new manuscript are needed, and then where he plans to send it.

No comments: