Friday, February 12, 2010

Kindling the Amazon



I'll be honest - I haven't been able to keep up with the ebook/Kindle/Amazon conversation. I know I should - one way or another it's my future - but it's so out of my control that the more I read about it, the worse I feel. Ten years from now it may prove to have been the best thing that ever happened for authors and readers alike, but right now it seems so stacked one way I can't see a real bright side. But, like I said, I don't know much about the issue.

One thing I do know is that if you're a pre-published author, you'd better not let this industry confusion keep you from starting/finishing your book. It shouldn't make any difference at all since if it does, it tells you something about your motivation. And the same goes for us lucky enough to have been published in the BK era (Before Kindle). That business model is dead and it won't be coming back. What will be coming can not make a difference in our motivation. It may make a difference in how we tell a story - like I said last post, writing/reading styles change - but it shouldn't be used as an excuse why we don't write.

I'm sure we'd all like to have been writers in that mythical era where more people read in their free time, where the books were flying off the shelves and authors were celebrities. Well, we do. Look at the numbers - book sales have never been higher, more people are reading (or claim to be) and some authors are indeed clebs. Okay, maybe not you or me, but there are famous writers.

So that's it for the pep talk. Go forth and write. When you finished you may be royally screwed, but at least you will have accomplished something good. Can the Big Wigs at Amazon say the same thing?

6 comments:

Jill said...

I can't imagine that format - digital or paper - would be or could be an excuse to not write. Yes, things have changed, but if you have a story to tell, you'll tell it... regardless of what manner it is eventually released in.

Vicki Delany said...

You are quite right, Charles. Let the chips fall where they may. Publish and be dammed. All those good sayings.

Ann Elle Altman said...

I may not become rich as an author but I do it because I love it.

ann

Charles Benoit said...

Ann,

Odds are you won't become rich as an author, but your love of writing will be seen in your work.

Rick Blechta said...

"Publish and be damned." Sadly, too often that's the case...

---Rick, thinking of all those books signings he's done, many with Vicki D.

qishaya said...

Original christian shoes are first category in alter. They are so much appealing louboutin shoes so, ample of women can not pause to get their hands on them. cheap christian louboutin However, these shoes are not economical. christian louboutin So adequate of women cannot present these shoes. christian louboutin heels Christian Louboutin Replica is presenting the textbook thing for these people. christian louboutin sandals It is present masses of fashionable shoes in an economical rate. christian pumps You know that unique shoes are posh to buy. christian sandals Nevertheless do not think that exchange a shoe with christian louboutin pumps magnificent create of top trait is hard. Now a time model are presented. louboutin pumps But if you hardship attribute cargo look discount christian louboutin for these replicas in a trustworthy position & set an order for your beloved shoes christian louboutin sale