Thursday, March 11, 2010

Writer’s Block: Myth or Reality?

On Sunday, guest blogger Stephen D. Rogers (SHOT TO DEATH) wrote about overcoming “writer’s block.” I quote the term here because I’m not sure it really exists. Maybe that’s the cynical teacher in me—“Mr. Corrigan, I just can’t start this paper,” or “Mr. Corrigan, I just ran out of time. It would’ve been better; I just didn’t know what to say”—but I’ve never been defeated by a blank page, and my secret is far from earth shattering.

I’ve yet to find a concrete definition for “writer’s block,” but in the contexts in which I’ve heard the term used, it always indicates a prolonged writing stoppage due to a lack of ideas. The road to the end of each of my novels has been lined with many speed bumps, pot holes, and even multiple-car pileups. I’ve hit points in each book where I had no idea where to go next or how to extract my protagonist from a seemingly insurmountable conflict. However, I’ve never run out of ideas.

While writing my second book, I effectively wrote myself into a corner (which happens a lot). It was mid-June, I was only 100 pages into the novel, and the December 31 deadline seemed like next week. My wife, bless her soul, apparently sensed something was wrong and asked how the book was coming along. Upon hearing my dilemma, she said something to the effect of, “Trust the story.”

This advice probably sounds vague, or worse, psychobabble. Yet, for me, at that point in time, it was more than enough. It was perfect advice, and I believe it still is. I backed up, reread the entire manuscript, found a thread I’d missed, and finished the novel. I have come to realize that, as Raymond Chandler said in his essay “The Simple Art of Murder,” “There are no dull subjects, only dull minds.” Similarly, Stephen King’s theory writing is like archeology—the story is intact, and it only gets broken if the writer screws it up—also holds up, for me. And so, in short, I don’t believe in “writing’s block.”

The story is always smarter than its writer, and it will always reveal itself, if you keep after it, a word at a time, a page at a time, draft after draft.

After all, there is no psychobabble in a revisionist’s mantra.

6 comments:

Dana King said...

Another Stephen King quote applies here, as well:

"Writer's block is what happens when you try to be a better writer than you are."

To me, it's an excuse to act the tormented artiste. Journalists don't get writer's block. As you mentioned, students don't have the luxury of writer's block.

When someone tells me he's blocked, I nod sympathetically (at least I hope it looks sympathetic) and think, "Get your ass in the chair and write."

ajcap said...

What would I do without these blogs? Wordy little lifesavers, they are.

I agree with everything Dana said so I won't bore everyone with re-writing it. I think a true writer's block is a very rare episode and the problem is probably much deeper than their writing.

But that writing myself into corners thing...I've got that real bad.

Debby (Deborah Turrell) Atkinson said...

I'm with you, John. Well said. And I've written myself into corners, too!

Anonymous said...

jiang When you will decide pandora sale to find jewelry for mom you may need to remember what your mom really needs. If my pandora jewellery uk spouse help rife with rings, then investing in a ring that she will likely for no reason put on pandora shop couldn't survive the ideal choice.Aside via getting Bracelets coming from a regular bracelets retail store, rings can also be purchased pandora 2010 from virtual stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you get to see every thing your gives, where in a shop it can be hard to kind though their own inventory to uncover the right thing. Mothers love pandora jewelry gifts which might be memorable. Make an effort to present your mom having a surprise that is personalized, for example an cheap pandora bracelets engagement ring utilizing their name engraved in it. Gold rings make for great gifts since they immortalize your mom's name in gold. A gold necklace and a pendant pandora charm bracelets produces a very good gifts for your mom, and gifts which might be most often overlooked . Avoid getting in a hurry to get a present for ones mom. Start pandora bracelet charms searching ahead of time; waiting until the last second to find a found is often getting problems.Spending some time to learn what an individual's Mum would like pandora bangles as well as might help guarantee that your sweetheart gets the top found. If you opt for necklaces regarding Mom online will assist cut down the amount of time necessary pandora bangle to discover the proper jewelry pertaining to mama despite the fact that have waited through to the very end. Therefore when your going looking for mother's day, on the liner where to begin from.

CHEAPSOCCERUNIFORM said...

It's so nice!I like it so much! Thank you for you give me so wonderful information.
Eeveryone love fashion clothing, Polo Ralph Lauren is very popular all over world, that is my dream to get Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts.We know Ray Ban by America soldier, all of them wear Ray Ban Sunglasses when they walk on the road, it is fashionable for you.

Cheapmonclerjacket said...

Information like the one you mentioned here will be very useful to me!.I love books and used to visit bookshops regularly.I just visit your blog.The articles are quite good and I have already used to visit this site regularly.
There are many brand from France, also including herve leger, and most of womens stars love wearing herve leger dress when they join in some important party. Now polo ralph lauren is very popular with youthful people, everyone want to get ralph lauren polo shirts, there are lots of online shop which are ralph lauren polo outlet, true religion jeans outlet, it will be convenient for us.