Saturday, July 03, 2010

Done


I sent the rewritten manuscript of Crying Blood to my editor day before yesterday. It is out of my hands. Unless she sends it back to me for more work, and until the galleys are ready, I am done.

The last few weeks of writing before a manuscript is due in to the publisher is intense and hair-raising. Then you finish. You send it off. It’s out of your hands. You are like a cork that has been anchored under the water for weeks and months, and now the string is cut and you pop to the surface. You’re floating. The sun is shining, the air is fresh. You are drifting. Aimless. You are disoriented. You’re blinking at the light. You don’t know what to do next.

All those things I put off while I was finishing the book are now tugging at me. I should make that doctor’s appointment before I get involved again. I want to finish that short story I started last month. The bills need paying. Time to do something about my web site. I meant to scrub down the shower last week. I have two hundred emails I kept as new because I wanted to read them, or because they require some action. Should I start setting up the promotional activities for next winter when the new book is scheduled to come out?

I am committed to giving a writing workshop at the end of the month, and I haven’t begun working on it yet. I promised myself that when I finished the MS, I’d plan some menus and start cooking again instead of eating sandwiches or take out every night.

My brain is flooded with random thoughts. 1) It was 114 degrees yesterday (really), and the garden is burning up. 2) I read an article yesterday about Rick Riordan, author of the Percy Jackson YA series. When my first book came out in 2005, I did my very first author appearance at Poisoned Pen Bookstore with Rick. He was a mid-list author touring with his fifth mystery novel. Now he’s a bajillionaire who is being compared to J.K. Rowling. 3) I finally bought an office chair for my computer desk. I’ve been using a regular folding chair for years. When my sister visited me in January, she said, “You don’t mean to tell me that I wrote five books sitting in that chair!” She shamed me into buying a real chair. 4) Don’s book of poetry, The Road, finally came out from Bellowing Ark Press. I try to read through the poems, but many of them are so personal that I bawl like a baby. 5) Thursday was Canada Day. In 1977, we sailed into Montreal from London on Canada Day. Fireworks were going off. We thought it a lovely homecoming. Then we crossed into the U.S. on the Fourth of July.

I start making notes for the next book.
______________
My guest blogger tomorrow is one of my favorite authors, Larry Karp, who writes the fascinating Ragtime Kid series. I can’t think of a better guest for Independence Day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture you used to illustrate your point.

Donis Casey said...

Thanks. My lovely new chair. Still warm.

CarolD said...

I guess we'll have to come back and check out the new chair!

Anonymous said...

Our store is mainly engaged in windows activation. All the windows activation key we sell is office activation key authorized by windows product key directly. Of course the office product key we sell is cheapest and excellent. The windows key generator we sell is various and complete. You can find the office key generator which you want in our store. And windows key can get windows generator service in our store.

Anonymous said...

jiang When you will decide pandora sale to find jewelry for mom you may need to remember what your mom really needs. If my pandora jewellery uk spouse help rife with rings, then investing in a ring that she will likely for no reason put on pandora shop couldn't survive the ideal choice.Aside via getting Bracelets coming from a regular bracelets retail store, rings can also be purchased pandora 2010 from virtual stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you get to see every thing your gives, where in a shop it can be hard to kind though their own inventory to uncover the right thing. Mothers love pandora jewelry gifts which might be memorable. Make an effort to present your mom having a surprise that is personalized, for example an cheap pandora bracelets engagement ring utilizing their name engraved in it. Gold rings make for great gifts since they immortalize your mom's name in gold. A gold necklace and a pendant pandora charm bracelets produces a very good gifts for your mom, and gifts which might be most often overlooked . Avoid getting in a hurry to get a present for ones mom. Start pandora bracelet charms searching ahead of time; waiting until the last second to find a found is often getting problems.Spending some time to learn what an individual's Mum would like pandora bangles as well as might help guarantee that your sweetheart gets the top found. If you opt for necklaces regarding Mom online will assist cut down the amount of time necessary pandora bangle to discover the proper jewelry pertaining to mama despite the fact that have waited through to the very end. Therefore when your going looking for mother's day, on the liner where to begin from.

orgni said...

I actually enjoyed reading through this posting.Many thanks.

collectables for sale