Tuesday, August 03, 2010

A few review bon mots

Hi folks, Blechta here — and still overwhelmed by work, so I'm still in a thieving mood.

This week's theft is from my good friend (and great author) Simon Wood who sent out his newsletter last week. I thought one thing in it was particularly good and would like to share it with you (with his permission, of course). It deals with nightmare reviews and provides blurbs that are quite the opposite of what an author hopes to get when a new book comes out. They're quite witty and I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

And by the way, check out his website, www.simonwood.net and sign up for his fantastic newsletter while you're there.

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!
Simon will be our guest blogger here at Type M this coming Sunday. Be sure to check in to see what this always-entertaining author has to say!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Terminated has been out a few weeks, which got me thinking about reviews the other day. Well, not exactly thinking, more like obsessing. Despite my rough, gritty exterior that you've come to know and mildly like, I'm quite squidgy inside, so the idea of getting a bad review is likely to make me cry or hide under the duvet until someone compliments me. So I started to think about what would be a nightmare review. Here's what I hope never to see written about my books at any time:

"A great bathroom read—very absorbent."

"It's one hell of doorstop."

"Out of all the books I've read this year, this was one."

"This book made me switch on the TV."

"This book is very put-downable—a policy that should be applied to the author."

"An author to track down—and do bad things to."

"It made me hate my ability to read."

"This was a real page burner."

7 comments:

Janice said...

Reminds me of an old friend, a Scottish television script editor who used to reply to the authors of unsolicited scripts, with the delightfully ambiguous..."Thank you for your script. I shall waste no time in reading it."

Simon said...

I'm you liked my fears, Rick...

Rick Blechta said...

How about this one?

"I feel a lot more like I do now than I did before I read this book."

or

"The author certainly has a way with words. Unfortunately, it's not a good way..."

Thanks for commenting!

Donis Casey said...

I like that third one - "of all the books I've read this year...: and intend to be using it soon.

Anonymous said...

I think "M" for Murder is the Bizzy-Bizall! It truly and Epically Rocks!

Rick Blechta said...

Yes, it does.

Anonymous said...

jiang When you will decide pandora sale to find jewelry for mom you may need to remember what your mom really needs. If my pandora jewellery uk spouse help rife with rings, then investing in a ring that she will likely for no reason put on pandora shop couldn't survive the ideal choice.Aside via getting Bracelets coming from a regular bracelets retail store, rings can also be purchased pandora 2010 from virtual stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you get to see every thing your gives, where in a shop it can be hard to kind though their own inventory to uncover the right thing. Mothers love pandora jewelry gifts which might be memorable. Make an effort to present your mom having a surprise that is personalized, for example an cheap pandora bracelets engagement ring utilizing their name engraved in it. Gold rings make for great gifts since they immortalize your mom's name in gold. A gold necklace and a pendant pandora charm bracelets produces a very good gifts for your mom, and gifts which might be most often overlooked . Avoid getting in a hurry to get a present for ones mom. Start pandora bracelet charms searching ahead of time; waiting until the last second to find a found is often getting problems.Spending some time to learn what an individual's Mum would like pandora bangles as well as might help guarantee that your sweetheart gets the top found. If you opt for necklaces regarding Mom online will assist cut down the amount of time necessary pandora bangle to discover the proper jewelry pertaining to mama despite the fact that have waited through to the very end. Therefore when your going looking for mother's day, on the liner where to begin from.