Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Two sides of the same coin

My (writing) life continues on its runaway course and I have to admit that it’s getting to me.

We all have to make a living. Some of us are lucky, grasped the brass ring as it came by (or was even offered), and have since been able to indulge our writing passion as a full-time job. I make it a point to try not to be envious, but there are times, like now, where I almost can’t help it.

My work life at the moment (and for the foreseeable future) is in the graphic design world. It was not a course I set out to follow early in life. It’s just something that happened to me while I wasn’t really paying attention. It’s not that I don’t have training in it. I worked for 11 years with a supremely talented designer and he was very gracious with his patient explanations as to why this worked and that didn’t. I’ll never have the ability and flair that he did, but I honed what skills I do have to the point where I can now do a very workmanlike job.

What I want to do, though, is write! I squeeze in a little time here, a little there, but it’s ultimately not very satisfying. When it takes two weeks to complete a chapter, that’s not a good thing. You lose the thread. You lose the feel. You lose heart.

However, my wife and I spent the past weekend with Tony Luciani, a good friend who is an incredibly talented painter, I mean as in world class talented. Being able to sit and chat with someone who’s in a related creative field was very refreshing for me. He’s struggling, too, but in his case it’s from the reality that because of economic concerns people aren’t spending on art. Tony’s works aren’t inexpensive.

Still, he works on and has recently completed four incredible canvases in a series he’s commenced. Sort of like us, isn’t it? Most crime writers work in a series setting. He faces many of the same dilemmas and it was interesting to talk to him about it. But in the end, we creative sorts in the arts face the same basic dilemma: how to keep body and soul together when you what you want to do in life is create.

In my case, I don’t have the time to do it. I can’t justify turning down a client in order to find the time to write. Sure, I putter along, but it’s driving me nuts! I have all these things waiting to get out and there aren’t enough hours in the day to allow me to do it. I make a living, but at what cost to my creative soul?

Tony, on the other hand, is completely committed to spending his life following his muse. His paintings are fantastic, I mean that sincerely. If I ran across something of his in a museum and didn’t know him personally, I would certainly stop and look anyway. Even though life is a bit of a struggle for him at the moment, Tony is keeping the faith.

Regardless, I have to admit that I’m envious.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tony's website is well worth a visit: www.tonyluciani.ca

4 comments:

Vicki Delany said...

Good post, Rick. You've really bared your soul. Stick with it, you know you have the talent. And that painting is simply fantasic.

Vicki Delany said...

I'll add that Rick is too modest. He's a great graphic designer and because he's a writer himself he really knows what appeals.

Donis Casey said...

Add to all of that having a family that one wants to spend time with and children who need raising - my hat is off to you for being able to finish books at all.

Anonymous said...

jiang When you will decide pandora sale to find jewelry for mom you may need to remember what your mom really needs. If my pandora jewellery uk spouse help rife with rings, then investing in a ring that she will likely for no reason put on pandora shop couldn't survive the ideal choice.Aside via getting Bracelets coming from a regular bracelets retail store, rings can also be purchased pandora 2010 from virtual stores. The beauty of buying on the internet is you get to see every thing your gives, where in a shop it can be hard to kind though their own inventory to uncover the right thing. Mothers love pandora jewelry gifts which might be memorable. Make an effort to present your mom having a surprise that is personalized, for example an cheap pandora bracelets engagement ring utilizing their name engraved in it. Gold rings make for great gifts since they immortalize your mom's name in gold. A gold necklace and a pendant pandora charm bracelets produces a very good gifts for your mom, and gifts which might be most often overlooked . Avoid getting in a hurry to get a present for ones mom. Start pandora bracelet charms searching ahead of time; waiting until the last second to find a found is often getting problems.Spending some time to learn what an individual's Mum would like pandora bangles as well as might help guarantee that your sweetheart gets the top found. If you opt for necklaces regarding Mom online will assist cut down the amount of time necessary pandora bangle to discover the proper jewelry pertaining to mama despite the fact that have waited through to the very end. Therefore when your going looking for mother's day, on the liner where to begin from.