Friday, September 24, 2010

Hiring Stretch Legs for Edwin Hakone (The solution to all my bills)

As my sixth week of writing draws to a close, and I approach the 90,000 word mark, I find myself wrestling once again with that age-old writers’ affliction, RSI - or Repetitive Strain Injury.

I have a large, painful ganglion, on the inside of my right wrist. I have a pain in my left hand that travels up my arm from between the first and second fingers.

That’s not to mention the commanding ache in my lower back, or the fact that I have put my neck out again.

And, yes, yes, I know... I should stand up every half hour and stretch legs, back, arms, neck. But when you get sucked into your writing, hours pass without you even noticing. I do try to take a half hour walk every day, just to keep my circulation going, but even that’s not always possible.

So what’s the answer? Well, new technology is punting voice recognition software as the solution to all my ills. All I have to do is talk to my computer and it will turn my voice into text. I can be doing anything I like: peddling hard on the cycle machine, jogging on the treadmill, or even lying back on the settee with my eyes closed.

A current ad on TV for Dragon voice recognition software shows a skydiver jumping out of an aircraft while telling his computer, via voice link, to send an email.

Wow, I thought. It’s the perfect answer. So I figured I would give it a dry run, by reading this blog aloud to my computer to see how well it works. And here’s the result:

My sixth week of writing draws to a close, to my folks for 90,000 word mark, I find myself wrestling once again what's up Bejeweled breakers before too all right side or repetitive strain injuries.

I have a large pimple ganglion went inside my breakfast. I have a pain in my lifetime that travels up my arm from between the first and second fingers.

For us not to mention the commanding geek in my lower back, where the f*ck to talk to my neck I thinking.

I guess, yes, I know... I should sign up for hiring stretch legs, back, arms, neck. When you get sucked into your writing her ass possibilities noticing. I do trust you got a horrible everyday, just to keep my situation going, if you cannot cell phones possible.

So what's the answer? Well, you technology is tempting voice recognition software is the solution to all my bills. All I have to do is talk to my computer and it will turn my voice into text. I can be doing and I think I like Edwin Hakone cycle machine, jumping on the tread mill, or even lying back from the city with my eyes closed.

Current iPhone TV for Dragon voice recognition software for the skydiver jumping in the aircraft while telling his computer, via voice link, to send an e-mail.

While I thought. It's the perfect answer. So I figured I would give it to dry run by reading this blog Aladdins to my computer to see how well it works. And here's the results:


Well, I guess that might make for an interesting novel.

It’s a good job the guy jumping out of the airplane didn’t ask Dragon to pull the ripcord!


10 comments:

Carol said...

*snigger* I quite like the thought of you having a commanding geek in your lower back!

C x

Janice said...

Reminds me of a joke, the punchline of which was "whale oil beef hooked".

But more to the point, it looks like we've found out who's leaving all those messages on Donis's website!

Rick Blechta said...

Well, Peter, you could certainly make use of this software "advance" to effortlessly add a more comic element to your writing. I'm sure I'm not the only one who laughed out loud.

John said...

Peter, your problem was that you had the "Chinese Whispers" setting in the software set ON.

peter_may said...

Actually, I could not have spoken more slowly and clearly. Maybe it was my Scottish accent!

Donis Casey said...

When I get sucked into my writing, my ass possibilities certainly notice unless I sign up for hiring stretch legs, back, arms, neck.

hannah Dennison said...

This is hilarious! It's the next step up from auto spell check. I have a friend (now blind, alas) who is using Dragon software for his 700 page memoir ... I am now bracing myself because ...yes ... I volunteered to read it for him. He's also French. I wonder if there are French whispers?

peter_may said...

I think this could be the secret to comic writing!

John said...

No Peter, that is TIMING!

peter_may said...

Yes, John, deciding when to talk to your computer!