Thursday, November 04, 2010

Sometimes Life Gets in the Way

It’s been a slow week on the writing front. I submitted a short story to Alfred Hitchcock Mystery Magazine and the Kenyon Review. Otherwise, parenting has bumped everything to the back burner.

Our 12-year-old missed an overtime penalty kick that would have extended her team’s playoff run, and our 2-year-old mysteriously broke out in hives. Our soccer player has a writer’s sensitivity and a writer’s grasp of the world and its social nuances. After Monday’s game, she entered our house, took one look at me, and sobbed. “I missed,” she said, “and that’s why our season’s over.” I took her to her favorite restaurant and then to a café for hot chocolate and a little dad time. Tuesday, my cell phone vibrated with news from the daycare that the baby had an allergic reaction to something and was breaking out in welts and needed to go to the hospital. I spent the rest of the day in the doctor’s office and the pharmacy.

Thursday morning, the world is spinning in the right direction again. I happily report all is well. Soccer season, of course, never actually ends. The school season might be over, but the 12-year-old was asked to play on an under-14 indoor team. And the hives weren’t a food allergy after all. The baby has sensitive skin and one of her older sisters had generously decided to share her body lotion with the tyke. The reaction was nothing a long bath and a couple days of Benadryl couldn’t handle.

As writers, we often become accustomed to closing the office door and turning the outside world off for a couple hours (or more, if you’re lucky) each day. However, sometimes life gets in the way. It’s an odd juxtaposition because life, after all, is what we are all trying to capture in our work. Now it’s back to writing a parallel plot into a finished novel and looking at short story written over the summer with fresh eyes.

And hoping to accomplish more next week.

3 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

Been there, done that...way too often.

Still, you turned it into a pretty good blog posting. That's something.

John R Corrigan said...

Thanks, buddy.

Hannah Dennison said...

I've been there too -- I'll still drop everything for my family wherever they are in the world. I liked your post because it reminded me what's really important!