Saturday, April 02, 2011

We Have our Ups and Downs

Donis here. March is done, and my promotional events for Crying Blood are beginning to wind down. I have a dozen or so gigs lined up for April, May, and June, and that should do it for this particular book. We've been lately discussing our promotion philosophies, fears, and insecurities on this blog. Seems that in book promotions, just like every other aspect of life, you don't know if what you're doing is going to be worth it in the long run.

Just about the time you think you're doing well, something happens to knock you down a peg or two. And then when you've finally decided that becoming a pig farmer in South Carolina would at least be steady work and pay a lot better than being a novelist, you get a fan letter from some darling reader who says that your book changed her life, or made her cry, or inspired him to try something new. I get those right along, and when I do I feel like I've had a shot of writing adrenalin.

To wit: a long, lovely, letter I received last Sunday from a woman who had read my books closely and with great insight and then took the time to let me know how much she enjoyed them. "I am inspired by authors like you, who tell stories so engrossing I can't put them down and I'm sad when they end...then I look forward to finding the next one. Please keep writing your Alafair books, and I promise to keep reading them!"

Oh, thank you, dear. If it weren't for you wonderful readers, there wouldn't be writers.

So, anyway, I get this letter that makes me feel all proud of myself and talented and like I'm doing something worthwhile with my life. Then an hour later I get in the car and drive 90 miles down to Tucson for a bookstore signing and nobody shows up. First time that's ever happened to me, though I've had my share of ones and twos. The gods obviously know how to prevent hubris.

Speaking of successful touring, our own Vicki Delany was through here (the Phoenix area) last week, along with fellow Canadian writers R.J. Harlick and Wayne Arthurson. Vicki, her mom Gail [sp?], R.J., and I ate Sonoran style at Frank and Lupe's in Scottsdale, then I got to enjoy Canadian night at Poisoned Pen Bookstore. They're all back in Canada, now. Enjoy the chill, you guys.

left to right: Jessica Tribble of Poisoned Pen Press, Wayne Arthurson, Barbara Peters, Vicki Delany, R.J. Harlick.

3 comments:

Irene Bennett Brown said...

Sorry about the no-show at the Tucson booksigning, Donis, but it happens to all writers, don't you know? A writer acquaintance of mine, on receiving a major award, was invited to do a bookstore signing and presentation. 2 people showed up. One wanted her book but didn't give a fig to hear her presentation, the second person was there for the talk but didn't want her book. Crap happens.

Vicki Delany said...

It was just great to see you, Donis. We really enjoyed the night at Poisoned Pen. Of which I will be posting on Monday.

Hannah Dennison said...

Oh ... it's happened to me many a time Donis! But even though we know it DOES happen to us all, it's still awful.