Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Looking for Story Ideas?





Many of us lead busy lives, and writing, although a priority, shares top billing with other aspects of our lives. When I am writing a novel, getting my work done each day is manageable--once the story is started, I jump on the train each morning and take the ride. But when I am between novels, I try to write short stories. And I always find this more challenging because I am constantly forced to seek new ideas. (Obviously, I have the utmost respect for poets.)

This week, I'd like to offer a writing activity that I use to help me generate ideas and material. It may help you start a story.

I have often said I begin with a character because I believe plot to be a direct result of character. For this activity, I Googled "people in conversation," "people in conflict," and "watching a conversation" to find photos I thought might present interesting fodder for conflict and characters.

Here I have attached three very different photos that offer characters in unique situations. Choose the photo you find most compelling and consider the following questions. Then run with a narrative.


1. Who are these people?
2. What is the relationship between each character?
3. The viewer is dropped into a story seemingly mid-sentence. What is taking place? And what are these conversations about?
4. What is their back-story?
5. What conflicts are present? (For instance, in each photo the respective characters seem to present a unique emotional range. What leads to each reaction?)

6 comments:

joomla templates said...

Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post ,thanks.

writing services said...

This is a good article and offer some helpful information for me,thank you!

hannah Dennison said...

What a brilliant idea!! I've never thought of that before. I'm teaching a beginners workshop soon. Can I borrow it? I'll make sure to give you the credit. VERY helpful.

John Corrigan said...

Thanks very much, everyone. Glad you like it.

Mystery Writers Unite said...

This was a great post! What a wonderful way to come up with story ideas and intesting character profiles. Becky

skipperhammond said...

You just gave me a great idea. The character, when asked to pick three photos from thousands, picks three of whites in elegant dress.