Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Bookshelf Muse

It’s been nine years since I wrote Fade Out and switched to writing long form narrative. I originally moved from the UK to Los Angeles to pursue a dream of becoming a screenwriter. For more than a decade I worked as a story analyst for a number of studios and production companies reading an average of one hundred and fifty scripts a year. I learned a lot about the art of storytelling and really enjoyed the job.

So I was really surprised at just how difficult it was to write long-form narrative. My plan of turning a few of my un-produced screenplays into novels proved to be far more complicated than I realized.

A screenplay is a visual medium. The director, cinematographer, production designer, actor et al add in the texture, emotion and layers of a story—rarely the writer.

Screenplay: Vicky walks into her sparsely furnished bedroom.
Screenplay: There is a big storm.

Even with five novels under my belt, I really struggle with writing descriptions. I can take days describing the furniture—albeit sparse—in my protagonist Vicky Hill’s bedroom. This also goes for the weather. A one-paragraph description of a thunderstorm could take me hours to write.

And that is why I was thrilled when my friend Elizabeth Duncan introduced me to a terrific resource The Bookshelf Muse.  For me, it’s a lifesaver.

Here is a short list of the thesauri on offer: Setting, color, texture, shapes, weather, earthly phenomena, emotion, character traits and symbolism.

If you haven’t heard of this before … take a peep. I love it!

13 comments:

LD Masterson said...

I recently discovered The Bookshelve Muse and I agree, it's an excellent resource.

Hannah Dennison said...

Isn't it great!!!

Becca Puglisi said...

Hi, Hannah. Thanks so much for the terrific shout out! Though Angela and I are both novel writers, we've always believed many of our resources would benefit screenwriters, too. It's so great to hear someone in the trenches talking about how our site has helped them. Thanks again!

Hannah Dennison said...

Becca - you are very welcome. I use your site ALL the time! It's a terrific resource.

Charlotte Hinger said...

You can bet I'll get my hands on it.

Diablo 3 gold said...

Very cool. I always enjoy the interviews. Thanks for having this blog

diablo 3 gold said...

Cool, I like it.

cheap wow gold said...

I love it too. How did you do this?

rsgoldorder said...

Again fantastic submit. Come on and blogging your website may well be more attractive. I always enjoy the
interviews. I'm a editor of game site, you can visit and find diablo 3 gold, i like it very much.

dolinna said...

That is really cool. Thanks for finding it. Some really good ideas there, this is going to be a real time sink. I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: China tour operator | China tour packages | China city travel

guildwars said...

Cryptic announced last week that the game team was working on a large patch with major updates to address as many of the issues as possible that appeared during the open beta. And now, the huge patch is unleashed! Check out the big changes coming in this patch to Neverwinter, also prepare enough of neverwinter diamond and get ready to take new challenges in the game!

Linda said...

Many Diablo III players have no problem understanding the mechanics of the game, have great builds, and have the buy diablo 3 gold knowledge to beat all the bosses in the game. However, what many players do not have is the money to purchase good gear cheap diablo 3 gold that will get diablo 3 gold them through inferno mode.The video game Star Wars: The Old Republic swtor credits was known as one of the most anticipated role playing games ever delivered onto the market. It is a massively multiplayer game that generated literally millions of buy swtor credits in sales within just a few weeks of being released.Star Wars was one of the most popular movies of all times and is considered cheap swtor credits a classic series which is loved by fans from all around the globe.

Learn Chinese language on hanbridgemandarin said...

All Hanbridge instructors are accredited language teachers, native speakers of Mandarin, and have obtained a Bachelor's or Master's Degree. in language. All have standard Mandarin pronunciation and have completed Hanbridge's rigorous training program.Most importantly, they are committed to and enthusiastic about teaching and have a passion to help people learn to speak Mandarin and learn about Chinese culture.



More Chinese learning tags : Chinese language class | learn mandarin online | learning Chinese online