Monday, September 03, 2012

Paraprosdokians

Since I'll be away on holiday when you're reading this, I hope you'll forgive me if, instead of writing a blog, I share some paraprosdokians with you instead.  It's one of my favourite figures of speech (and Winston Churchill's too, apparently) in which the latter part is unexpected, usually humorous.  I like to think of it as the sucker's punch.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on my list.

Buses stop in bus stations, trains stop in train stations.  My desk is a work station.

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

You don't need a parachute to sky dive.  You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Where there's a will, I want to be in it.




Hope they make you smile!

3 comments:

ernährungsplan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Carlene Rae Dater said...

Those were great! I love new and unusual words. Know what this one means? Pleonasm. I teach creative writing at the local community college and TRY to get my students to write tight. This is one word that stumps them every time.

Aline Templeton said...

I have a friend with whom I share interesting words, and pleonasm was a recent one.
Last time I offered 'steatopygic'. Know that one?