Tuesday, September 04, 2012

Party time!

It was Christmas a bit early at my house last Thursday when a box of books showed up at my door. What did it contain? Copies of my just-released novel, The Fallen One (which you’ve heard about interminably over the past two or three years).

This book should have been out almost two years ago now, but due to the fact that my publisher was sold, it got delayed and then delayed again. So now it’s 4 1/2 years since the release of my previous full-length novel. I have to admit that it’s been frustrating at times, but now that I can actually hold something in my hand, that frustration has drifted away.

Even after eight novels, it’s still a thrill to see and hold your new baby – even if she’s been a bit of a problem child – I hasten to add through no fault of her own. And she is a very beautiful baby. I had designed a cover for it for my old publisher, but the new publisher had other ideas. (I think they don’t get the fact that I design book covers for a living.) When I saw their vision of my vision, I was a bit taken aback at first since the image used really has nothing to do with the story. My cover did, but then I knew the story intimately. However, the final image sells the sizzle while mine sold the steak, and theirs is colourful and very eye-catching, so everything turned out okay. It will look terrific on bookstore shelves and already looks good on the online websites since it’s so simple and direct.

I suppose I should check the inside to see if nothing untoward has happened after I signed off on the editing process. I will always remember Val McDermid’s horror story of receiving her latest and discovering to her horror that every copy was missing the last signature. For those not intimate with the printing process for books, the interiors are divided into groupings of pages (ideally 16) and folded this way, then stitched or glued together. The result is that the book can be easily and effectively bound. Val’s book had a smaller last signature and it had been inadvertently left out, so the book had no ending. I’m sure – considering the print run McDermid books get, in hardcover, no less – that somebody lost their job over that faux pas.

Hopefully, I’ve avoided that terrible fate. I think I’d better go check…

If I’m not here next week, fear the worst.

-=-=-=-=- 
To celebrate (and to promote the novel), this month on my food blog, A Man for All Seasonings, we’re going to be talking about French food and sharing recipes since a large portion of The Fallen One takes place in and around Paris. Stop on by starting on Thursday. The link is part of my bio in the righthand column of this page or just click HERE.

9 comments:

Hannah Dennison said...

I love the cover Rick. It's really eye-catching :)

Rick Blechta said...

Thanks, Hannah. It is good.

The really funny thing is that this image will work much better for the sequel to The Fallen One which I’m still in the process of writing! But suitable to the content or not, everyone has been telling me how much they like the cover – and that’s a Very Good Thing.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Charlotte Hinger said...

I've been lucky with covers. I very much like yours Rick.

D3 Gold said...

great article... can help me a good deal,it is Exactly what I used to be searching for! Cheers.
Diablo 3 Gold

Guild Wars 2 Gold

diablo 3 gold said...

Nice job,thanks.

world of warcraft gold said...

Passive skills not say, we all like Heaven, the spring of Columbia, plus A.

fdsfae said...

Geheimnisse sind. diablo 3 gold kaufen Also, wenn wir mit dem Spiel beginnen, müssen wir viel Zeit haben, um die Methoden zu lernen, das Spiel zu spielen. Wir müssen die lernen Tipps, Wege machen. Um Ihnen vertraut mit dem Spiel zu helfen, werde ich einige Tipps anbieten, die Ihnen helfen können, genug wow Gold in der Welt des warcraft Spiels diablo 3 gold verkaufen zu machen. Als eine neue Welt von warcraft gamer, am Anfang des Spiels, können Sie zufällig, um Konvertierung mit anderem gamers zu machen, so ist das für uns hart zu fragen, wie man schnell zielt, sollten Sie versuchen, soviel Suchen zu tun, wie möglich. Diese werden Ihnen mehr Erfahrung diablo 3 gold guide für Sie ausgebende Zeit geben.

Linda said...

Many Diablo III players have no problem understanding the mechanics of the game, have great builds, and have the buy diablo 3 gold knowledge to beat all the bosses in the game. However, what many players do not have is the money to purchase good gear cheap diablo 3 gold that will get diablo 3 gold them through inferno mode.The video game Star Wars: The Old Republic swtor credits was known as one of the most anticipated role playing games ever delivered onto the market. It is a massively multiplayer game that generated literally millions of buy swtor credits in sales within just a few weeks of being released.Star Wars was one of the most popular movies of all times and is considered cheap swtor credits a classic series which is loved by fans from all around the globe.