Thursday, January 10, 2013

50 Crime Writers & Addendum

John here, keeping it short and sweet.

I found this list, titled “50 Crime Writers to Read Before You Die,” in the January 8 edition of The Daily Telegraph and read it not only with great interest but also a feeling the falls somewhere between shame and relief – I feel a little ethnocentric but elated to have many new books I can add to my nightstand.

I’d like to urge the Type M community to not only offer an appraisal of the list, but to add authors to it. I will offer Tony Hillerman as a solid #51 and would like to put Kwei Quartey, author of the Darko Dawson series set in Ghana, on reader’s radars.

Other additions?

2 comments:

Rick Blechta said...

As with all such lists, there's always someone who should have made it but didn't. Tony Hillerman should of course be there, as should Michael Connelly and Ian Rankin. But how they can put some of those past voices in and overlook Rex Stout is stunning, to say the least. Also, no Val McDermid? Come on...

Charlotte Hinger said...

Yes to Val McDermid. She belongs on anyone's list.