Friday, January 25, 2013

Headache Remedy

My post is late today and will be very short due to a sinus infection and the accompanying headache. I was going to discuss prairie medicine at some length.

Instead, I checked my treasured volume of Dr. Chases Recipes to see what I should be taking:

"If you are a female in a weak or debilitated condition, try these homemade headache drops. 1/4 oz castor, 1/4 oz. gentian and 1/4 oz. valerian roots, 1 oz laudanum, 1-1/2 oz sulphuric ether, 1/2 pt of alcohol, 1/2 pt. water. Bottle and let stand for ten days. Dose 2 0r 3 times daily or as often as needed.".

A combination of laudanum, ether, and alcohol sounds like a lot more fun than ibuprofen. And getting to sip as needed sounds like a plan for a long and happy life.

More next time.

2 comments:

Frankie Y. Bailey said...

This reminds me of the "tonic" my grandmother used to take a spoonful of now and then. I seem to remember that it contained alcohol along with the healthy stuff. She used to make it up and keep it in a glass bottle and there was something that looked like dissolved rock candy, so it had to be shaken.

Or am I confusing my grandmother with Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies? :)

Hope you're feeling better.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Frankie, I'll bet is we asked readers to share their grandmother's home remedies, we would come up with some real hum-dingers.