Friday, March 22, 2013

Perfect Attendance

Hello from the not so sunny Colorado Springs where I am attending Left Coast Crime 2013. This post is aimed at fans more than the writers among us.

This morning I was on a panel "Literary Inspirations for Traditional Mysteries." In the audience was the perfect attendee. I wish I could clone her. She smiled and nodded and made eye contact with all the panelists. What a joy if there is even one such person encouraging us!

She made each of feel like we were brilliant contributors to the conference. I sought her out after the panel and told her how much I appreciated her presence.

My husband was this kind of person. Plus, he laughed heartily at every joke told. Knee-slapping and all. I could see speakers begin to address remarks to him. His enthusiasm was contagious. I, on the other hand, would sit there straight-faced and think "Yah. That's pretty funny." And never break a smile.

If you feel shy about attending a conference, please get over it. If you are an unpublished writer, conferences are invaluable. If you already publish like crazy, comparing notes with other writers is an opportunity to learn more about the craft and marketing. I've never attended a panel where I didn't learn something.

And if you are a really a real honest-to-god fan, you're worth a mint. Please let us know why you like our books.

5 comments:

Frankie Y. Bailey said...

Yes, it is always a joy to see smiling faces in the audience. Hope you're having a great time at Left Coast.

Toe Hallock said...

Left Coast? What? The U.S.A. now ends at the Rocky Mountains? Wouldn't surprise me. The RNC is already on the move for 2016. Sounds like you're having a good time. And productive. Thanks for the info about future attendance at one of these events. If I can just get up the nerve to do it. Hope you didn't get snowed in. Yours truly, Toe.

Charlotte Hinger said...

Toe--Don't hesitate to go to conferences. They are invaluable for making contacts. Plus, it's great to learn now other writers broke in or how they do things on a day to day basis. All our sessions were recorded. I intend to order some of the tapes? of panels I missed

Charlotte Hinger said...

Toe--Don't hesitate to go to conferences. They are invaluable for making contacts. Plus, it's great to learn now other writers broke in or how they do things on a day to day basis. All our sessions were recorded. I intend to order some of the tapes? of panels I missed

Charlotte Hinger said...

Frankie--yes, despite the unexpected snow it was a great conferences. The problem is that there are so many I would like to attend. One person told me they try to rotate conferences, which makes sense.